CHI-WEB Archives

CHI-WEB@LISTSERV.ACM.ORG

From:
Bill Killam <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Killam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Aug 2004 07:40:41 -0400
James writes...

>My experience with "labs in a box" has been that you spend as much time
>setting them up/taking them down/trying to get them to work as you do
>actually running tests.

This is not intended to be flame bait, but I have to disagree with this
statement.  I can get my any of our portable labs set up with a screen shot,
face camera, room/keyboard camera, dual monitors for facilitator/assistant
observation, external audio and video feeds for observers, and private
intercom for communications to the facilitator in about 10 minutes.  I have
yet to see a software only solution with that much capability.  And I would
run my portable lab in conjunction with a software solution to get all of
the other capabilities needed to do a test properly.  Then again, we do a
lot to testing other than software and web sites that a software-based
solution wouldn't help anyway.

Bill
Bill Killam, MA CHFP
President, User-Centered Design, Inc.