From:
Bill Killam <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Killam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Feb 2006 22:23:33 -0500
I was involved with UAT for many years.  UATing is typically a script based
demonstration of the presence of functionality and provides almost no data
on usability.  It's a through form of system testing with all combinations
of options tested with defend steps and expected results written down.  The
procedures (scripts) are agreed to before hand and it's very difficult to
claim any issue if the expected result is not obtained when the procedure is
followed.  The tests are often even automated.  So, the only user in user
acceptance testing is that the test is witnessed by users or a
representative of the users.  .  The closest I've seen is when a user is
allowed to try to follow the script and produce the results, but that's a
real stretch to think of this as usability testing.

Bill
Bill Killam, MA CHFP
President, User-Centered Design, Inc.
20548 Deerwatch Place