From:
Wolfgang Huerst <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Wolfgang Huerst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Jun 2007 02:16:59 -0400
Due to a large number of requests, the *deadline for ACM EMME 2007* has
been extended till *June 6*. Our apologies if you have received multiple
copies of this mail.

ACM Workshop on Educational Multimedia and Multimedia Education (EMME
2007)
September 28, 2007, Augsburg, Germany (in conjunction with ACM Multimedia
'07)
http://emme2007.informatik.uni-
freiburg.de

CALL FOR PAPERS

Advances in multimedia capture, analysis and delivery, combined with the
rapid
adoption of  broadband  communication,  have  resulted in  multimedia
teaching
systems that have advanced  traditional  forms of education. Research in
these
areas has achieved  impressive  results in the last  few years and many
actual
working systems and  commercial products  are now routinely  used by a
growing
number of people. However,the various web sites and lecture videos produced
as
part of the "e-learning hype"  generally do not  exploit the full potential
of
multimedia.  The question about  how multimedia can  really make learning
more
exploratory  and enjoyable is as yet  unanswered, and we are just beginning
understand the real contribution of  multimedia to education. In addition,
new
trends  in multimedia  technology, such  as multimedia on  handheld devices
or
advanced approaches for the automatic analysis of  multimodal  signals,
offer
novel and exciting opportunities for teaching and learning.

The growing pervasiveness of multimedia on any computing device also
increases
the  relevance  of  knowledge  about multimedia  for  computer  scientists
and
software engineers.  However, the significance of multimedia for the future
of
computing  is generally  not reflected  in current curricula. For example,
few
universities  offer  dedicated  courses and multimedia is often only taught
as
part  of  other  courses such  as computer  graphics  or machine  learning.
In
addition,  multimedia is a  very active and  rapidly changing  field.  New
and
emerging technologies  can not only  influence how  we teach but  also have
an
impact on what we should teach.

The goal  of this workshop is to identify current and evolving trends,
specify
open problems, and discover  challenges and prospects  for new research in
the
broad topic of  multimedia-based education.  By bringing  together
researchers
working  on  educational  multimedia  with multimedia  educators,  we want
establish an open discussion on these issues and create a reference for
future
research  in  this  area. In  particular, we  invite submissions in one of
the
following areas:
-> MULTIMEDIA EDUCATION, i.e. submissions  which identify  key issues and
best
   practices for teaching multimedia  and look  into the  future of
multimedia
   education.
-> EDUCATIONAL MULTIMEDIA APPLICATIONS, i.e.  work on  educational
multimedia
   systems and applications that promote learning.
-> EMERGING TRENDS, i.e. papers  on novel technologies  and emerging trends
in
   computing that offer new and exciting possibilities for the production
and
   usage of multimedia learning material.

We explicitly  encourage  researchers  from  other  communities  who  are
also
working with multimedia data and multimodal  signals  to  contribute  to
this
workshop  by  submitting  their  research related  to  educational
multimedia
material  and  applications.  In  addition,  any contribution from an
emerging
field dealing with education and new media is welcome. Further potential
areas
of interest include, among them, gaming and learning, human-centered
computing,
and ubiquitous computing. Information about submissions (up to 10 pages in
ACM
style, shorter submissions are welcome as well) are available on the
workshop
web site (see URL below). Selected papers will be invited for publication
in a
related journal.

Workshop Chairs
Gerald Friedland, ICSI Berkeley, CA, USA
Wolfgang Hürst, Albert-Ludwigs-University Freiburg, Germany
Lars Knipping, Berlin University of Technology, Germany

Important Dates
Deadline: June 6, 2007
Notification: July 5, 2007
Final Version: July 11, 2007

Further information & submission instructions at
http://emme2007.informatik.uni-freiburg.de