From:
"Robert C. Leif, Ph.D." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Apr 2000 05:08:22 -0700
From: Bob Leif
To: Team-Ada

The following is a very unfortunate example of the acute lack of knowledge
of individuals and consequently companies in the computer industry. I also
have sent it in the hope that it might be of some use to others who suddenly
find that they are no longer receiving e-mails from a list.

This situation is sufficiently stupid to approach being laughable. If these
companies do not even know what the ACM is, there is no hope that they would
use software engineering technology including Ada.

To: Michael Cooley - Technical Support
ZNET Technical Support

CC: Mike Berman
Team-Ada List Maintainer

Irving Cumberbatch
Member Services
ACM

Thank you for your speedy reply. You wrote, "acm.org is on our list of
spammers. They can probably get off the list by emailing us their policies
and their assurnances that they're doing everything to prevent spam coming
from their systems."

The Znet list of spammers is grossly defective and its action of denying me
a significant part of my e-mail is deplorable. A human should have
intervened. You stopped a vital source of information and have unfortunately
demonstrated that the person in charge of the list is a software illiterate.
Hopefully, ZNET has at least one educated member of management. I highly
suggest that at least one of your management team become a member of the
ACM. Computer literacy should be a requirement for a managerial position at
your company.

Please check the web site WWW.ACM.ORG
Association for Computing Machinery

"Founded in 1947, ACM is the world's first educational and scientific
computing society. Today, our members — over 80,000 computing professionals
and students world-wide — and the public turn to ACM for authoritative
publications, pioneering conferences, and visionary leadership for the new
millennium."