Date:
Mon, 31 Jul 2000 16:28:32 -0400
From:
Clyde Roby <[log in to unmask]>
Mike and all,

> [said Rush]
> >
> > We're looking forward to this.
>
> Me too!
> >
> > This year Clyde Roby implemented an on-line registration
> > system for SIGAda 2000 conference.  It "pained" us all that he
> > had to use Perl scripts instead of Ada.
>
> Hmmm, it's not clear to me why he "had" to use Perl scripts
> instead of Ada. What was the reason? Certainly AdaCGI and
> GNAT are mature enough to have done the site that way.

I think you partially answered this question below -- ACM's servers
don't have the latest set of software to support Ada.  AND, *I* have a
pretty old set on my workstation here at IDA, too.  8^)

> I noticed the Perl only when I visited the site as one of
> a bunch of "beta testers". By that time, it would only have been
> irritating to everyone if I second-guessed the language he
> wrote it in.

There were a couple of other reasons, too -- none related to the
choice of languages other than legacy code implemented in Perl.

> > Please keep me
> > informed, I'd like to use AdaCGI for the "Where's Ada?"(tm)
> > web pages.  So we can all see where Ada software is being
> > developed or maintained.

However, we've been discussing the possibility of using Ada and AdaCGI
for SIGAda 2001's registration system, if it's going to be used next
year.

> > Rush Kester
> > charter member Team Ada
> >
> Full disclosure requires me to add something.
>
> The nice thing about the web is that it really doesn't matter
> where stuff is physically; it's easy to link all over the web,
> as we know.
>
> The job registry won't actually _run_ on the SIGAda site at ACM,
> but here at GW. Our plan was to develop it here, then migrate it
> to ACM, but then I tried to install GNAT at ACM, and discovered
> the hard way that ACM is running a VERY old version (1995) of DEC
> OSF, and both GCC and GNAT have moved well beyond that version.
>
> If ACM ever upgrades its OS, it will be easy to migrate our system
> there - just install GNAT there (no problem, if the OS version
> is halfway current), change a few path names and recompile there.
>
> I'll try to discuss this with the ACM admins, once the system is up
> and running on this end and it's not a theoretical problem.:-)
>
> So the SIGAda 2000 reg site would not have _run_ at ACM if it
> had been in Ada, but if that was the obstacle, we could (and
> would) have easily hosted it at GW. I don't recall any discussion
> of it on the SIGAda mailing lists I read.

There was no discussion about running it at a place other than ACM.
That was a major obstacle, but not the only one.  Perhaps next year?
Even if ACM doesn't upgrade?

> Mike Feldman

Looking forward to the end of summer and your results...

Clyde Roby