From:
William Pritchett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Sep 1997 16:09:29 -0400
The policy now defers to the ATA (now JTA-Army) for language usage.
The ATA currently only allows for Ada and ISO/ANSI C.  Furthermore,
Appendix F of the ATA (the weapon systems annex),  _currently_
encourages the use of Ada only.  I forget if it actually "mandates" the use
of Ada for weapon systems.  From what I've seen in the Army weapon
systems community (ground vehicles, aviation and missile systems), Ada
is still the language of choice.

Bill Pritchett
DCS Corporation

>>> "W. Wesley Groleau x4923" <[log in to unmask]>
09/05/97 02:34pm >>>
----- Begin Included Message -----

Subject: ADA policy & 3rd Generation Prog Languages

     FYI.  Today I received the below ODISC4 e-mail on a document signed
by
     Mr. Borland, ODISC4 Vice Director, not revising or extending the Ada
     policy, but establishing language for the use of 3d/4th Generation
     Programming Languages.  If you have seen this e-mail or letter, I
     apologize for your inconvenience.

      The Army Technical Architecture (ATA) designates approved
programming
     language standards relating to the utilization of Third Generation
     Language (3GL). Army Program Managers and organizations
responsible for software acquisition, development and maintenance
should adhere to the 3GL standards set forth in the most current version
of the ATA.  Unless specifically addressed in the ATA, there are no
restrictions on  the use of Fourth Generation Languages (4GLs) or
advanced software  technology.