From:
Jack Beidler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 12 Aug 1997 23:30:07 -0400
Michael Feldman wrote:

> Tuck et al,
> >
> > I know that at least some of the GPS receivers built by
> Rockwell-Collins
> > use software written in Ada.  I'm not sure whether these include the
>
> > automotive ones.
> > -Tucker Taft  [log in to unmask]
> >
> Yep, I knew about that "some". The interesting question is whether
> their
> mass-market commercial GPS boxes do, or don't, have "Ada inside."
> Since these things are no longer a curiosity - it is easy to get them
> in rental cars and some hi-zoot retail autos as well - it would be
> VERY interesting if we could say that there's Ada in those Hertz cars.

If you are interested in global positioning systems, check out the $149
system from DeLorme at http://www.delorme.com.  The system,
called Tripmate, attaches to your laptop and you put it on the dash of
your
car.  They claim that it gives your position within 300 ft!!  I'll let
you know
when I try mine out.

Jack Beidler