From:
Hal Hart <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 19 Aug 1997 18:04:50 -0700
(SORRY IF YOU GET THIS MORE THAN ONCE.  I JUST REALIZED A BROADER
SAMPLE THAN JUST SIGAda ORGANIZER TYPES IS NEEDED FOR A FAIR READING
ON THIS INFORMAL POLL.  I DO BELIEVE THAT Tri-Ada's CONTINUED SUCCESS
IS A HARBINGER OF OVERALL Ada INDUSTRY/COMMUNITY HEALTH, AND HENCE AN
APPROPRIATE TOPIC TO SOLICIT TEAM_Ada AND ARA LISTS FOR INPUTS.  hh)

Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 08:25:53 -0500
From: David Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask]
Subject:  Hal/All:

Hal/All:

I think - and have publicly stated many times - that the costs for
publicity are more than we need to be paying.  For example, I have
seen no substantive proof that four-color presswork is more effective
in garnering registartions than the equivalent single color would be
(e.g., STC's stuff is always just one color, and they seem to have
little difficulty in attract registrants to what has become one of the
biggest shows around).

The costs for multi-color work add up.  Even a 25% reduction would be
welcome - and give you the 20K you need.  As for the graphics work,
much of its appeal - or lack thereof - is a matter of taste. (Norm and
I don't like it, and Drew is neutral; but I've heard nothing from any
other TA97 Committee Member on the subject, and as much from other
recipients. Does this mean that the graphics don't displease others?
(Or is it - as I darkly suspect - a matter of indifference?)  We've
been operating (last year and this) on the assumption that, to attract
a larger audience, we need to have "flashier" adverts.  I maintain
that many Ada professionals are not drawn by such things, but are more
interested in what's on the program.  Most managers of my experience
are unmoved to send employees to conferences based on the "flash" of
an AP.

I know Brad has mounted many strong and good arguments toward better
adverts, but if the extra 20-30K we spend doesn't get us the 50 or 60
extra registrants, it's just not good business to continue it.

As for the quality of the design and its message, I submit that too
much of it shows an utter lack of knowledge of the product, and that's
bad advertising!  Examples abound, but I've talked too much already.

- ------- End of Forwarded Message

------- End of Forwarded Message