From:
Joshua Gross <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joshua Gross <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 May 2006 08:28:10 -0400
All,

Apologies for cross-posting.

We've received several really great responses (on time, even!) to our
CFP, but we've also had enough requests for extensions that we felt it
only fair to make a blanket offer. The new deadline is Monday, May _8_.
Please send all submissions to [log in to unmask] by this date.

Thank you,
Josh

2006 DIS (Designing Interactive Systems) Workshop
On the Process of Game Design
Call for Participation
http://gamedesign.ist.psu.edu/

The game design process is largely driven by practice; while some work
has been done to address theoretical foundations for game design, this
work has been done only in academia. These two communities rarely come
together to discuss their perspectives on design theories or processes.
As a result, both communities work in isolation. The game industry
works at the level of individual games, but academics are concerned
primarily with theoretical foundations and broad scope. The goal of
this workshop is to start a dialogue between the two communities and
generate general themes and underlying theories. From a practical side,
these theories will aid game designers in constructing games, help tool
designers build better tools that allow designers, and support the
research goals of academia. More broadly, these theories should help
the two communities integrate, making science more relevant to practice
and practice more viable.

This workshop will include participants from a variety of backgrounds,
including art, architecture, game studies, and computer science, and
will also include academics and practitioners. The workshop will be
composed of interactive sessions in which participants engage in
hands-on applications of specific theories, as well as discussions
about design processes.

We are looking for papers that address the game design process,
including game tuning, design theories, design frameworks,
multi-disciplinary aspects of design, aesthetics, psychology of design,
definition of fun, patterns of play, etc. We encourage papers that will
serve as a foundation for interactive presentations that allow
participants to engage in a design activity.

Send a 1-3-page position paper in PDF to: [log in to unmask]
Due Date: 8 May 2006
Notification of acceptance: 30 May 2006

Please check http://gamedesign.ist.psu.edu/ for updates.

Program Committee
Chris Crawford, StoryTron
Andrew Gordon, University  of Southern California
Joshua B. Gross, Penn State University
Damian Isla, Bungie Studios
Darla Lindberg, Penn State University
Keith Miron, Inxile-Entertainment
Simon Niedenthal,  Malmö  University
Madis Pihlak, Penn  State University
Yusuf Pisan, University of Technology, Sydney
Magy Seif El-Nasr, Penn  State University
Brian Smith, Penn State University
Bill Tomlinson, University of California at Irvine
Robert Zubek, Maxis/Electronic Arts
Joseph A. Zupko, Penn  State University