Sender:
From:
Lars Erik Holmquist <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jan 2007 11:51:37 +0100
Dear all,

just a quick reminder that submissions for the alt.chi track at CHI 2007
will close Febrary 1 - only a few more days to go!

alt.chi uses a completely open, non-anonymous review process to allow
discussion and presentation of unusual contributions that expand the
boundaries of the CHI community.

Even if you are not submitting, please consider helping us by reviewing
- signing up is open for all!

More details below.

  - Lars Erik Holmquist & Barry Brown, alt.chi 2007 co-chairs

--

CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS:

alt.chi 2007
http://www.chi2007.org/submit/altchi.php

CHI 2007, ACM conference on Computer/Human Interaction
28 April - 3 May, 2007, San Jose, California, USA

Do you have something important to say about human computer interaction?
Do you want to say it at the premiere international conference in the
field? We invite you to submit your work and ideas to the alt.chi track
at CHI 2007!

alt.chi 2007 has four dedicated sessions in the CHI program - and we
need YOUR help to fill them! Over the last five years the alt.chi tracks
have collected some of the most innovative submissions to the
conference.  This year we open up the process further for unusual,
challenging and thought-provoking work that might not otherwise be seen.
alt.chi has its own submission process, with reviews and selections made
in a completely open web based process. alt-chi is a place to experiment
with how CHI submissions are presented, submitted, reviewed and
selected. alt.chi is CHI's breathing hole, the space for change, where
new ideas can be tried out and experienced.

We invite controversial ideas, novel prototypes, failed but valuable
user studies, bold experiments, and anything else that can give a fresh
perspective on CHI. We also invite submissions that explore technical or
practical limitations in technologies or methodologies; that introduce
promising, although currently non-viable techniques; that critique the
current state of the field; and that explore topics outside of current
discussion. In particular, we invite work that would otherwise not have
been presented at CHI 2007 - whether because it has been rejected from
other venues (e.g. Papers), or because it is too different to be
submitted in the first place!

All submitters to alt.chi must commit to review at least three other
submissions. The process is completely open and non-anonymous, and the
whole community is invited to take part in the selection process. We
want to encourage discussion and debate on what makes a good alt.chi (or
regular CHI) submission, what makes a good review, and, ultimately, what
makes for a fruitful conference experience.

Timeline:
1st December        Forum opened
1st February        Forum closed for submissions - No more submissions
accepted
2nd February        Review and discussion of submissions starts
12th March        Chairs present shortlist of selected submissions
19th March        Invitation of successful submissions to be presented
at the conference

Take the plunge. Join us for alt.chi 2007!

More details on submitting, format etc. can be found at:
www.chi2007.org/submit/altchi.php

The alt.chi forum is open for business at:
http://www.viktoria.se/altchi/

Lars Erik Holmquist and Barry Brown, alt.chi 2007 chairs