Sender:
Date:
Sun, 2 Aug 2009 02:02:48 -1000
inline
From:
"Daniel D. Suthers" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:
This may be of interest to CHI members working in CSCW, Group,
Communities & Technologies, etc. as well as learning applications.

Call for Workshop Contribution "Pinpointing pivotal
moments in collaboration"

STELLAR 2009 Alpine Rendez-Vous
November 30-December 1 2009, in Garmisch-Partenkirchen (Germany)

Organisers
--------------
Kristine Lund (CNRS, University of Lyon)
contact: [log in to unmask]

Nancy Law (Hong Kong University)
Carolyn rose (Carnegie Mellon University)
Dan Suthers (University of Hawai'i)
Chris Teplovs (University of Toronto)

Abstract
---------
In a previous workshop at the International Conference for the
Learning Sciences 2008, entitled “A Common Framework for CSCL
Interaction Analysis”, we explored the diversity and commonality
of the field on four dimensions: the purpose of analysis, the units
of interaction that are taken as basic in the analysis,
representations of data and analytic interpretations, and analytic
manipulations taken on those representations. We sought to
establish requirements for a common conceptual and representational
framework to support collaborative learning process analysis. To
this end, our intention was to focus on three main activities:
namely, demonstrating our analytic tools to one another in the
context of analyses we conducted, identifying commonalities among
these tools and analyses, and generating requirements for a common
conceptual model and abstract transcript. This first workshop was
followed by a second, called "Common Objects for Productive
Multivocality in Analysis" and held at the International Conference
on Computer Supported Collaborative Learning 2009. Our ongoing
discussions have trigged the addition of another dimension to our
focus, that of theoretical assumptions underlying the analysis. In
addition to identifying potential common objects for productive
multivocality at these five levels (theoretical assumptions plus
the four levels from the first workshop), our goal was to identify
differences or divergences and whether these are complementary
(potential sources of richer understanding) or incompatible
(potential barriers to a common discipline). The third workshop in
the series “Pinpointing pivotal moments in collaboration” will
be held at the Alpine Rendez-Vous 2009. New participants are
welcome. The workshop will serve to define what constitutes a
pivotal moment during self- directed group learning. In this way
the workshop will address the first Grand Challenge in TEL
research, as shaped by STELLAR: “Connecting learners” –
supporting self-directed, self-managed and self-maintained
communities and create successful new forms of collaboration. The
specific goals of the workshop are to use what we have elaborated
on interaction analysis in our two previous workshops in order to
identify these particular pivotal moments. Our long-term
publication goal is to propose an edited book in the CSCL book
series on pivotal moments in collaboration to be discussed during
this workshop. In addition, the organizers will propose a journal
article for IJCSCL using the five previously mentioned dimensions
to discuss productive multivocality in generating insights for
pivotal moments of collaboration.

Call for Participation
--------------
Interested researchers should submit at least a two-page abstract
to [log in to unmask] by August 30th, 2009. The abstract
should indicate which type of participation is requested (see below
- basic participation, analyst/discussant, data presenter).
Organizers will choose a limited number of participants. Acceptance
letters will be sent out on September 10th, 2009.

Basic Participation: Basic participants should submit at least two
pages summarizing their relevant prior experience, their objectives
in participating in this workshop, and a bibliography of relevant
publications.  We also request a pointer to one (or exceptionally
two) relevant publication(s) and any relevant URL demonstrating the
researcher!s work (for example a website dedicated to a particular
interaction analysis tool).

Analyst/Discussant: Researchers who wish to be selected as analyst
or discussant should meet the requirements for Basic Participation
(2-page abstract as explainedabove) and also submit up to two pages
summarizing the following characterizations of the analytic work
they typically undertake in relation to how they understand the
notion of pivotal moments in collaboration: (1) theoretical
assumptions; (2) purpose of analysis; (3) units of interaction (4)
notations for data and interpretations; and (5) analytic
manipulations.

Data Presenter: Researchers who wish to offer a data corpus should
meet the requirements for Basic Participation (2-page abstract as
explained above) and also submit up to two pages summarizing the
nature of the corpus and making the case that this data will serve
the objectives of the workshop. Data presenters may also serve as
analysts or discussants.

The Alpine Rendez-Vous
--------------------------
This 2009 Alpine Rendez-Vous is the second event of a series. It is
organized and
funded by STELLAR, a new European network of excellence on learning
technologies (http://www.stellarnet.eu/). It is not a conference
but a set of independent workshops held in the same hotel during
the same week. Four workshops will be held on the Monday-Tuesday
and four other workshops on the Wednesday-Thursday. On the Tuesday
afternoon, all workshop participants are invited to join a common
section, the Rendez-Vous, ending up with a social event.

Financial aspects
------------------
Participants will be selected based on their submissions. There are
no registration fees. Participants pay for their own travel and
lodging. However, funding for hotel and food will be available for
a limited number of participants and this will be decided by the
organizers.

Location
---------
The Alpine Rendez-Vous will be held in Garmisch-Partenkirchen, a
mountain village in the South of Germany
(http://www.garmisch-partenkirchen.de). Closest airports are Munich
and Innsbruck (in Austria).

Workshop Format and provisional schedule
-------------------
The 2-day workshop will be interactive and based on sharing corpora
and analyses with the negotiation of different roles taken on by
the selected participants. Each participant will apply for one of
three roles: 1) data presenter, 2) analysis presenter and/or 3)
discussant. Each of the two data presenters chosen will not only
present the nature of the data and how it was collected, but also
the original research problem that inspired the data collection,
whether the problem was theoretical or practice-oriented as well as
the original pivotal moments of collaboration that were discovered.
Analysis presenters will have access to chosen data before the
workshop and will do their own analyses on them (chosen data sets
must thus be shareable). It may be possible for teams of people to
propose to present two different analyses done on the same data set
and thus occupy data presenter/first analysis presenter as well as
second analysis presenter roles. Discussants will have access as
well to data sets and analyses before hand in order to prepare
their comments. There will be 2 data presenter roles, 2 analysis
presenter roles and 4 discussant roles (see schedule below). The
remainder of the workshop participants will be expected to
participate in general discussion.

Monday, November 30th, 2009
8:30 am -- 9:00 am: Short introduction to the objectives and
structure of the
workshop  Kristine Lund

9:00 am -- 10:30 am: Each participant or team will give a 5 min
introduction to their work, essentially highlighting what they have
written in their proposal so that participants are sensitized to
the voices of each of the participants/ teams.

10:30 -- 11:00: Coffee break

11:00 -- 12:00: Presentation of the first data set, its context and
a first analysis

12:00 -- 12:30: Discussant: What are the consequences of the
described pivotal moments?

12:30 -- 13:30: Lunch

13:30 -- 16:30 Free time

16:30 -- 17:30: Presentation of a second analysis of first data set
(different pivotal moments of collaboration than first analysis)

17:30 -- 18:30: Discussant: What are the consequences of the
described pivotal moments?

18:30 -- 19:00: Coffee break

19:00 pm -- 20:00 pm: Discussant: Synthesis of two different
analyses of pivotal moments of collaboration on first data set:
Insights and challenges for productive multivocality.  What do each
of the analytic perspectives expose about pivotal moments? Can we
productively use multiple analytic perspectives? How would one use
the results of such an analysis to inform collaborative learning?

Final discussions on what insights we have gained about common
objects for analysis and points of divergence; requirements for a
common conceptual model and abstract transcript

Tuesday, December 1st, 2009
8:30 – 9:30: Presentation of the second data set, its context and
a first analysis

9:30 -- 10:30: Discussant: What are the consequences of the
described pivotal moments?

10:30 -- 11:00: Coffee break

11:00 am -- 12:30: Presentation of second analysis of second data
set (different pivotal moments of collaboration than first
analysis)

12:30 -- 13:30 : Lunch

13:30 -- 14:30: Discussant: What are the consequences of the
described pivotal moments?

14:30 -- 15:30: Discussant: Synthesis of two different analyses of
pivotal moments of collaboration on first data set: Insights and
challenges for productive multivocality. What do each of the
analytic perspectives expose about pivotal moments? Can we
productively use multiple analytic perspectives? How would one use
the results of such an analysis to inform collaborative learning?

15:30 -- 16:00: Coffee break

16:00 -- 17:00: Workshop wrap-up + publication strategy discussion

_________________
Daniel D. Suthers
Dept. of Information and Computer Sciences
University of Hawai`i at Manoa
1680 East West Road, POST 309
Honolulu, HI 96822 USA
(808) 956-3890 voice  <-- When requiring action within few days
(808) 741-5686 mobile <-- For issues requiring immediate action
(808) 956-3548 fax
mailto:[log in to unmask] <-- May require a week or two to read

Chair, Communication and Information Sciences
  http://www.hawaii.edu/cis/
Professor, Information and Computer Sciences
  http://www.ics.hawaii.edu/
Laboratory for Interactive Learning Technologies
  http://lilt.ics.hawaii.edu/
Hawai`i Networked Learning Communities
  http://www.hnlc.org/
Editor,
  Research and Practice in Technology Enhanced Learning
  http://www.apsce.net/RPTEL_Purpose_and_Scope.htm
Assoc. Editor, Int. J. Computer Supported Collaborative Learning
  http://ijcscl.org/