Sender:
Date:
Tue, 22 Mar 2011 22:58:07 -0700
From:
James Lin <[log in to unmask]>
NOMINATIONS FOR MOST INFLUENTIAL PAPERS
---------------------------------------
VL/HCC 2011
IEEE Symposium on Visual Languages and Human-Centric Computing

September 18-22, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA, USA
http://vlhcc.org/

DEADLINE FOR NOMINATIONS
* Monday 11 April 2011
* e-mail to [log in to unmask]

The VL/HCC community is continuing the tradition of honoring research
papers whose appearance in this conference had the most influence on
VL/HCC research or commerce. Because having such influence can only be
determined over time, the papers being nominated are from past
decades.

We have two award categories for Most Influential Paper:

* 10 years ago (+/-1 year) - fully refereed papers that appeared at:

   - VL 2000 in Seattle, WA, USA
     http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/mostRecentIssue.jsp?punumber=7030

   - HCC 2001 in Stresa, Italy
     http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/mostRecentIssue.jsp?punumber=7811

   - HCC 2002 in Arlington, VA, USA
     http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/mostRecentIssue.jsp?punumber=8108

* 20 years ago (+/-1 year) - fully refereed papers that appeared at:

   - VL 1990 in Skokie, IL, USA
     http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/mostRecentIssue.jsp?punumber=316

   - VL 1991 in Kobe, Japan
     http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/mostRecentIssue.jsp?punumber=376

   - VL 1992 in Seattle, WA, USA
     http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/mostRecentIssue.jsp?punumber=895

The tables of contents of the relevant conferences can be found by
following the links above.

We need your help in nominating papers from either or both of these
categories that have had a truly important, long-term impact on VL/HCC
research or commerce. This is an important award to our community. It
is a way to help us attain recognition for our field and for the most
important works that have appeared in our conference. We hope it will
also be motivational and inspiring for younger researchers.

To nominate a paper, just send an email containing answers to the
following questions to [log in to unmask]

The questions/criteria are:

1. VL full paper title and authors (must be a refereed full paper
    at VL, HCC, or VL/HCC ó not a keynote, not a panel, not a short
    paper, etc.)
2. What year did the paper appear?
3. What was the paperís big, long-term, or unique impact on VL/HCC
    research or commerce?
4. The paper awarded can win the award in one of these two ways:
    a) It is the only, or first, or first important paper on the
       influential topic.
    b) It is just one of a sequence of papers published in multiple
       places that had a big influence on VL/HCC research or commerce.
       However, if there have been multiple communities where the
       work has been published, the research needs to be strongly
       situated in the VL/HCC community by virtue of many papers on
       the topic having been published at VL/HCC. Of course, the
       nominated paper must satisfy all the other above criteria as
       well.

    Which of the above was it, 4a or 4b? Please explain.

Note: Concrete evidence of impact would be very helpful (e.g.,
Google Scholar citation counts).

Deadline for nominations is MONDAY, APRIL 11, 2011, although it would
be helpful to have them earlier.

Many thanks,

John Grundy, John Hosking, and John Howse
2011 VL/HCC MIP Task Force (aka "The Three Johns")

VISIT OUR WEB SITE
http://vlhcc.org/

LIKE US ON FACEBOOK
http://www.facebook.com/pages/VLHcc/182658411772606