Date:
Fri, 15 Apr 2011 01:08:13 +0100
From:
Dianne Murray <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
On behalf of the Editor in Chief and Elsevier, the Publisher is pleased to announce the winning article for our annual Interacting with Computers Most Cited Paper Award.

Our most cited paper award offers an alternative to committee-selected ‘‘best papers’’. The only objective and transparent metric, which is highly correlated with the quality of a paper, is the number of citations. We hope that the design of this most cited paper award will assure fairness and equal opportunity for all authors published in the Journal. It is our hope that this award will stimulate the best minds to release their best work. Papers for this distinction are determined solely based on the highest number of cites, excluding self-citations, received for all journal articles published between the years 2008 and 2010 [data culled from SCOPUS reports (www.scopus.com) created on 25 January 2011].

The winning paper is ‘‘Fundamentals of physiological computing’’, by Stephen H. Fairclough, Interacting with Computers , 2009, Vol. 21(1-2), pp. 133-145.

Abstract:
This review paper is concerned with the development of physiological computing systems that employ real-time measures of psychophysiology to communicate the psychological state of the user to an adaptive system. It is argued that physiological computing has enormous potential to innovate human–computer interaction by extending the communication bandwidth to enable the development of ‘smart’ technology. This paper focuses on six fundamental issues for physiological computing systems through a review and synthesis of existing literature, these are (1) the complexity of the psychophysiological inference, (2) validating the psychophysiological inference, (3) representing the psychological state of the user, (4) designing explicit and implicit system interventions, (5) defining the biocybernetic loop that controls system adaptation, and (6) ethical implications. The paper concludes that physiological computing provides opportunities to innovate HCI but complex methodological/conceptual issues must be fully tackled during the research and development phase if this nascent technology is to achieve its potential.

We congratulate Dr. Fairclough on this great achievement.

Dr. Stephen Fairclough, School of Natural Sciences and Psychology, Liverpool John Moores University, Tom Reilly Building,
Byrom Street, Liverpool L3 3AF, UK
Research website: http://web.me.com/shfairclough/
Physiological Computing Blog: http://www.physiologicalcomputing. net/wordpress/
School website: http://www.ljmu.ac.uk/nsp/