From:
David England <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David England <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Jun 2010 14:35:40 +0100
Designing and Investigating Interaction with the Cloud

a workshop at HCI2010, Abertay University, September 6th, 2010
http://www.hci2010.org

Cloud computing is moving from a buzzword to a set of useful services which promise the benefits of Computing as a utility, removing the responsibility for infrastructure and software application management from end users and organizations. However, the full implications of moving to a cloud-based platform are not clear. In this workshop we intend to bring together researchers and practitioners from various fields where cloud computing is becoming an issue. We wish to examine the impact of cloud computing on the user experience at the individual and organizational level.

The workshop will seek to bring together researchers and practitioners from different areas who have had experience with dealing with Cloud-based computing and interaction. Amongst the topics we expect to discuss are

•	Reconciling the economic and business benefits of cloud computing with changes to the user experience.
•	Issues for organisations and individuals in migrating from a locally based interaction to cloud-based interaction.
•	Issues of trust and security when third parties manage your infrastructure.
•	Adopting current HCI design techniques to a cloud-centric approach
•	Issues of design context, adaption and tailorbility of cloud- based systems.
•	Designing for failure: the user experience when the cloud goes offline.
•	UI tools, notations and models which may specifically support specifying and designing cloud-based interaction.
•	Lessons learned from earlier work in CSCW and distributed computing that can be re-applied or re-thought.
•	Social and organisational issues of implementing cloud solutions.

The workshop will require the submission of a 2-4 pages position paper. All submissions should be formatted to the ACM standard.
In conjunction with the British HCI conference, a (third) volume of proceedings will be produced containing the accepted papers from the workshops. Papers will be assessed for the timeliness, quality and relevance of their research to the workshop topic. Accepted papers will be posted on the web and authors invited to read the submissions to promote pre-workshop discussions. The organisers will generate a summary paper bringing out the main points of the submissions. We expect these pre-workshop activities will generate a list of research topics and challenges. We will identify key issues raised for further discussion at the workshop.

Delegates will then be asked to give short 10-15 minute presentations at the workshop in the morning session. In the afternoon we will break up into smaller groups to discuss the key issues raised from the pre-workshop activities and the morning presentations. Each group will report back on their discussions.

We will approach Springer when we have a sufficient number of position papers to produce an LNCS volume on Cloud Computing and Interaction.

Key Dates

* Submissions due: 23:59 GMT, 16 July 2010
* Acceptance notification: 4 August 2010
* Camera ready due: 18 August 2010
* Workshop date: Monday, 6 September 2010

Organisers

Dr David England, Liverpool John Moores University
Dr Martin Randles, Liverpool John Moores University
Prof. A Taleb-Bendiab, Liverpool John Moores University

Eur Ing Dr David England MBCS CEng,
Head of Computing
http://lister.cms.livjm.ac.uk/homepage/staff/cmsdengl/