From:
Jonathan Grudin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jonathan Grudin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Mar 2011 12:50:16 +0000
Greetings --

Today, 10 days after the end of early registration, my abstract (below) was added to the CHI 2011 web page for Courses, although the oversight was pointed out a month ago. For some reason, this year the web site does not include the detailed Advance Program Description that course developers create, and courses are less prominent in conference marketing. I encourage people who plan to attend to find the course abstracts and consider signing up. Courses will not appear in the ACM Digital Library. Many offer information that is useful in practice and would be expensive to obtain in other ways.

Unlike most, my course doesn't provide guidance for designing or using interfaces. It's intended to provide guidance for designing careers, by examining how our field has changed in the past, often unexpectedly, and identifying trajectories that may extend into the future. It went well in 2007and 2008, and it is not my current intention to offer it in 2012. It has been updated, based on research for a chapter on this topic in the forthcoming 3rd edition of the HCI Handbook edited by Julie Jacko. A couple dozen people registered for it despite the lack of any information on the web site and I'm looking forward to a presentation and discussion. But I recommend considering other courses, too, I have taken many of them myself.

---  Jonathan

HCI History: Trajectories into the Future<http://chi2011.org/program/Course.html#cr102> - Course
Jonathan Grudin Microsoft Research

Abstract > We can't predict the future in detail, but by understanding the dynamics that shaped the present, we can more effectively direct our efforts. This course covers the history of human-computer interaction as it has been approached by psychologists, computer scientists, human factors engineers, researchers in information systems and information science, and others. HCI has changed dramatically, surprising experienced researchers and practitioners. Seeing how events unfolded in the past may prepare us to better handle the surprises that lie ahead.

This course was well-received at two previous CHI conferences. It draws on my articles and handbook chapters, and on the work of many people including those who contributed Timelines columns to Interactions magazine. It was not offered the past two years and has been significantly enhanced for 2011.

Features:

* How is HCI seen by different fields - CHI, Human Factors, Information Systems, and Information Science? Why do their views differ?
* How have technology innovation and behavior co-evolved?
* What is involved in bridging HCI-related disciplines?
* What major shifts of direction have occurred in human-computer interaction, and why?
* What do trajectories of change from past to present tell us about what may lie ahead?
* The course only touches on who did what when and on conceptual history. The focus is on forces that led to widespread shifts over time.
* The course now includes the history of library and information studies, suggesting why this discipline was distant from computer science, and why that is changing.

This lecture course has very few bullet points! It relies on timelines, graphics and quotations. There will be time for discussion.

Presenter
Jonathan Grudin is a Principal Researcher in the Microsoft Research Adaptive Systems and Interaction Group, prior to which he was Professor of Information and Computer Science at UC Irvine.