From:
Cecily Morrison <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cecily Morrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Apr 2009 10:13:46 +0100
      bodyLAB: exploring the body in communication

Workshop (half-day) at British HCI
Friday afternoon, 4 September, 2009
Cambridge, UK

WHAT IS IT?
bodyLAB is a mix of activities that explores the role of the
body in communication through physical activities, discussions of relevant
social science research and design activities. The workshop will start with
activities that will help us feel, as opposed to talk about, the role of
the body in communication. These activities will be followed by
presentations and discussions of relevant social science research. The last
part of the workshop is to apply the experiences and discussions to the
design of selected scenarios that participants described in their positions
papers, such as virtual environments or tabletop usage. It is our aim for
the participants to discover areas of exploration of the body within the
realm of their own sub-field of technology.

We would like researchers working in diverse areas, including:

Virtual Environments
Tangible and Embedded Technologies
Affective Computing
Tabletops
Single-Display Groupware
Computer-Mediated Communication
Co-located technology usage
OTHER: ____________________

Social Science material that we expect to discuss includes:

Interaction Analysis
F-formation Systems
Non-verbal behavior
Movement synchrony and entrainment
Embodied Extension
Vocalizations
Gesture and Posture
Tacit knowledge
Knowledge as embodied performance
Body as mediating interface

PARTICIPATION
We would like participation from any researcher who studies
or builds technology that is part of communication, either by presence or
by use.

Please submit a 1-2 page paper describing: (1) a design situation that you
work with in which the role of the body during communication is
significant; and (2) how you have accounted for it. Submissions can be sent
to Cecily Morrison at [log in to unmask]

IMPORTANT DATES
Paper submission deadline:   17 May 2009
Notification to authors:     25 May 2009
Camera-ready version:        10 Aug 2009

ORGANIZERS
Cecily Morrison (University of Cambridge, Computer Science)
[log in to unmask] Satinder Gill (University of Cambridge, Centre
for Music and Science & Middlesex University, EIS) Shazia Afzal (University
of Cambridge, Computer Science)