From:
Tim Kindberg <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tim Kindberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Jun 2005 14:03:33 +0100
Call for papers (apologies for duplicate postings)

UbiPhysics workshop
Ubicomp 2005, September 11-14, Tokyo
http://ap.hpl.hp.com/UbiPhysics/

One of the key characteristics of ubiquitous computing is the
integration of computation with the everyday physical world. The Segway
vehicle provides an example in which microprocessor-controlled operation
changes what we would normally expect to be the physics of locomotion on
one axle. We have new abilities both to alter physical characteristics
(actuation, augmentation) and to accommodate or respond to them
(sensing). Ubicomp seeks to combine electronic behaviour with material
artefacts of many kinds, from added functionality in the case of
Wellner’s digital desk, to added experience in the case of
location-based media. But work on physical-virtual interweaving seems
largely ad hoc: systematic knowledge of how to design for this
combination is missing.

This workshop aims to provide a forum for designers, developers and
users of ubiquitous systems to exchange experiences and contribute to
the elucidation of research and design challenges for physical
integration in ubiquitous settings. We are interested not only in the
physical phenomena and experiences we can bring about, but also in their
social and behavioural consequences. We welcome participants from a wide
range of areas of expertise including systems, design, engineering,
Physics and HCI. The final goal of the workshop is to identify and
clarify research challenges and directions.

** Topics **
We welcome papers on any topic concerning the design of physical-virtual
integration. This includes but is not limited to:

o Case studies of novel physical-virtual designs
o Frameworks for integrated physical-virtual environments & applications
o Supporting spontaneous interaction
o New mechanisms for associating the physical and the virtual
o Physical versus digital interaction zones and boundaries
o Dealing with physical uncertainty and imprecision
o Learning from examples of physical integration outside ubicomp
o Designs that help users understand and learn physical-virtual behaviours

** Workshop attendance, submission & participant selection **
We envisage overall attendance of about 20 participants. The workshop
organizers will select participants based on a review of submitted
position papers, taking into account scientific quality, relation to the
workshop topic, and fruitfulness for discussion. Some successful
position papers will be selected for presentation. Successful position
papers will be published on the web prior to the workshop.

Position papers should be submitted to timothy AT hpl.hp.com in PDF
format, to arrive by midnight 17 June 2005, UK time. They should be no
longer than three pages in length, in Springer LNCS format. Successful
position papers will concretely address the workshop topic, preferably
supported by the authors' own experience in virtual/physical interaction
design. Accounts of projects without a clear, larger point on the
workshop theme will be rejected. Authors will be notified by July 25, 2005.

** Workshop organisers **
Hans Gellersen, Lancaster University
Tim Kindberg, HP Labs, Bristol
Kenton O'Hara, HP Labs, Bristol