From:
Helena Mentis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Helena Mentis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Dec 2006 15:36:59 -0500
Call for Participation

-------------------------------

Exploring Design as a Research Activity

CHI2007 Workshop

April 28-29, 2007

San Jose, California, USA

http://design.ist.psu.edu/edra/

Understanding the status of design as a form of research is both
important and problematic. The National Science Foundation's Science of
Design program (http://www.nsf.gov/pubs/2004/nsf04552/nsf04552.htm),
which highlights the role of design in the development of interactive
systems, and the First International Conference on Design Science
Research in Information Systems and Technology
(http://ncl.cgu.edu/designconference/) both point to the need for a
community concerned with articulating different visions of design
science and design research.

The first workshop on exploring design as a research activity (EDRA) was
offered at DIS 2006 (http://design.ist.psu.edu/edra/?q=node/2).  Using
the most frequently occurring semantic tags generated during discussion
of position papers throughout the day, concept maps where developed from
the perspective of three different communities (software, engineering,
and the arts).  Use of these and other tags allowed us to examine the
fusion of horizons of those communities at the intersection of these key
concepts.  Following the success of the first workshop, we are holding a
two-day ERDA workshop at CHI 2007 in San Jose on April 28-29 in order to
expand upon our initial discoveries and incorporate more diverse
concepts and experiences.

In this workshop we will explore the role of design in HCI research.
Compared to more traditional research programs in the natural and social
sciences, the scientific basis of research incorporating a significant
design component is still relatively under-theorized. This workshop will
provide a forum for interested researchers and practitioners to discuss
their views on design as a form of scientific research.

Position papers are invited on a range of topics that inform the primary
question of this workshop: "What is design research in HCI?"  Possible
topics to answer this question might include:

  * Design as a scientific methodology

  * Case studies illustrating key issues in design research

  * Evaluating design research

  * The philosophy of design science

  * Epistemological issues in design research

The workshop will allow each participant time to present their position
paper and take questions.  Papers will be grouped according to theme,
and extended discussion will follow each set.  The workshop will also
feature small-group activities.

The goal of this workshop is to discover underlying themes in the HCI
community's conceptualization of design research and put forth a unified
vision of this field of research.  We are investigating the possibility
of a journal special issue based on the findings from the two workshops.

Please email submissions by January 12th, 2007 to [log in to unmask]

Organizers:

Steven Haynes, Penn State University

Helena Mentis, Penn State University

Matthew Peters, Penn State University