Date:
Fri, 18 Apr 2008 12:43:05 -0500
Sender:
From:
Andruid Kerne <[log in to unmask]>
*ACM Multimedia Art (*MM-ART) *Call for Participation -- Extended Deadline *
http://mmart.iat.sfu.ca

October 27 - November 1, 2008
Vancouver, Canada

The ACM MM Interactive Art Program is a premier international venue
connecting the arts and digital multimedia. MM-ART is a stage for digital
art innovation utilizing multimedia technology, and a research venue
advancing multimedia technology through the innovation of the arts. We
develop synergy connecting artists' and scientists' complementary modalities
of production, a ground for connecting methodologies such as human centered
computing, pattern recognition, metadata representation, and networking with
creative cultural expression.

This year's fifth version of the Interactive Art Program will consist of an
art exhibition at Vancouver's Science World and a conference track of
research papers. We invite artists working with digital media, researchers
in creative areas and all hybrid entities amidst these knowledge
construction approaches to submit original contributions.

• *Multimedia Art Exhibition:* We seek artworks exploring the theme of Border
Zones using multimedia to shift, traverse, intersect, and combine genres and
modalities to provoke the emergence of new frameworks.  We particularly seek
interactive multimedia works that combine multiple media, technologies, and
novel technical ideas, realize strong artistic concepts that give a new
perspective on the topic of the exhibition. View exhibition submission
instructions http://www.mmart.iat.sfu.ca/exhsubmission.html

The conference registration and dinner fees for exhibiting artists will be
waived.

*Art Exhibition Deadline: May 2, 2008 (extended)*

• *Conference Track: *We solicit papers describing interactive multimedia
artworks, tools, applications, and technical approaches for creative uses of
multimedia content and technology, and management of art-related media
collections. Emphasis will be given to new works that describe the creative
processes within art, in forms such as interactive experiences and
creativity support tools. We also invite papers on works that are
interactive, particularly works that exploit non-conventional human-computer
interfaces or sensors in new and emerging areas. We strongly encourage
papers with a strong technical content written by artists. Papers may be
long (10 pages) or short (2 to 4 pages). Long papers are presented in front
of an audience and short papers are presented in poster format. View
conference track submission instructions
http://www.mmart.iat.sfu.ca/fullshortpapersub.html

*Full Papers Deadline:    May 2, 2008 **(extended)*
*Short Papers Deadline: June 6, 2008 *

Accepted papers and art work abstracts will be published in the ACM
Multimedia Conference proceedings.

* Important Dates *
• May 2, 2008 Full papers and art exhibitions submission deadline.
• June 6, 2008 Short papers submission deadline.
• June 27, 2007 Authors notification.
• July 20, 2007 Camera-ready papers due.

If you have questions please contact Vicki Moulder, Arts Program Coordinator

*Program Chairs  *
Andruid Kerne, Interface Ecology Lab, Texas A&M University, USA
Frank Nack, HCS, University of Amsterdam, NL
Ron Wakkary, The School of Interactive Arts and Technology, SFU, CA

--
andruid kerne, ph.d.
interface ecology lab

Interfaces are the multidimensional border zones through which the
interdependent relationships of people, activities, codes, components,
and systems are constituted. Interface ecology investigates the
dynamic interactions of media, cultures, and disciplines that
flow through interfaces.