Date:
Sat, 12 Mar 2011 15:37:40 +0000
Call for Papers - Mobile Family Interaction
Workshop at Mobile CHI 2011<http://www.mobilehci2011.org/>, 29 August 2011 in Stockholm, Sweden.
This workshop aims to deepen our understanding of mobile technology use by preteens. The ubiquitous nature of this technology opens up new possibilities for technology use and abuse that need to be considered by parents and governments. This technological change will also affect family interaction and parenthood, bringing up new uses for mobile technology throughout families.

In this workshop, we welcome multiple approaches to start to explore this domain. We particularly welcome contributions from the following approaches:

  *   Empirical studies of preteen use of mobile technology, including use for communication among friends and family. Empirical analysis of themes, opportunities, coping strategies and mediation is also welcomed.

  *   Case studies of campaigns and other efforts to improve media literacy skills, and child-child and child-adult mediation, with particular emphasis on the development of best practices, as well as theoretical work on topics such as child-child or child-adult mediation.

  *   Presentations of innovative solutions and concepts that improve family life and child empowerment. The solutions will likely include mobile aspects, but may include also other media sources, such as the Web.

This is a cross-disciplinary workshop, and as such we explicitly invite contributions from a range of disciplines, including anthropology and ethnography, sociology, education, design studies, social sciences, science and technology studies and computer science. We also welcome contributions from non-academic organizations, such as corporations and both governmental and non-governmental organizations.
I want to participate! What to do?

  1.  Write a position paper, indicating your contribution to the workshop and point of view.
  2.  Send the position paper to [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> by 8th of April.
  3.  Wait. We’ll review your position papers and based on their potential contributions, and we’ll invite some of the papers to join the workshop. You will be informed on 15th of May at the latest.
  4.  Join us in Stockholm on 29th of August and let’s discuss and work together.