From:
Falko Schmid <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Falko Schmid <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Jul 2010 17:21:53 +0200

                           CALL FOR PAPERS

                              SISSI 2010

    Workshop on Social Interaction in Spatially Separated Environments
              September 26, 2010 - Copenhagen, Denmark

                   in conjunction with Ubicomp 2010

           http://www.informatik.uni-bremen.de/~schmid/sissi/
                     Follow us on Twitter: SISSI_2010

               *** Deadline Extension : July 25, 2010 ***

We invite you to join SISSI 2010 - The first international workshop on
Social Interaction in Spatially Seperated Environments, held in
conjunction with UbiComp 2010 in Copenhagen, Denmark, on September 26
2010.

Workshop topic and goals
------------------------
Social relationships play an important role in our everyday lives. They
are responsible for our well-being, for a productive working atmosphere
and for feeling part of our various communities. Nevertheless, our lives
have changed quite drastically in the past decades. Today, social groups
are often constantly or temporarily spatially separated. Teams are
distributed over multiple branch offices, situated in different cities,
countries or even on other continents. Relatives and friends are often
spread all over the world. Thus, it becomes more and more important to
develop methods to stay in touch with our non co-located peers on an
emotional and social level.

The goal if this workshop is to investigate ubiquitous technologies,
techniques and challenges related to the idea of bringing separated
social groups closer together by facilitating social interactions
between them. Furthermore we aim to develop new ideas on how everyday
ubiquitous systems, e.g. public displays or mobile devices, can be
exploited to enable new forms of interaction within spatially separated
environments. We invite contributions from researchers and practitioners
in the fields of pervasive and ubiquitous computing, spatial cognition,
human computer interaction and communication science.

Themes
------
This workshops seeks for contributions including (but not limited to)
the following themes:

* Recognition of Social Activities
* Multimodal Representation of Social Activities
* Impact of Spatial Separation on Social Behavior
* Case Studies of Ubiquitous Systems in distributed settings
* Transitions between Implicit and Explicit Interactions
* Privacy Issues of Ubiquitous Systems for Social Interaction and
Communication
* Issues regarding User Acceptance and Obtrusiveness of Ubiquitous
Systems in Spatially Separated Environments
* Context-based Reasoning in Spatially Separated Environments
* Spatial Cognition in Spatially Separated Environments
* Designs enabling Social Interaction in Distributed Display Environments

Submissions
-----------
We will accept contributions of up to 4 pages submitted in UbiComp 2010
proceedings style (http://www.ubicomp2010.org/templates) addressing
research,
ongoing work, ideas, concepts, and critical questions related to the use
of social
interactions between spatially seperated groups and individuals. We are
looking
for research results, case studies, position papers or technology
prototypes.

Contributions should be submitted through the workshop submission system
(available on the workshop website). They will be reviewed by the program
committee and successful candidates will present their work at the
workshop.

Important Dates
---------------
Submission deadline: July 15, 2010
Notification of Acceptance: August 15, 2010
Camera-ready deadline: September 5, 2010
Workshop date: September 26, 2010

Workshop Chair
--------------
Falko Schmid - University of Bremen, Germany
Tobias Hesselmann - OFFIS Institute for Information Technology, Germany
Susanne Boll - University of Oldenburg, Germany
Keith Cheverst - University of Lancaster, United Kingdom
Lars Kulik - University of Melbourne, Australia

Program committee
-----------------
Albrecht Schmidt - University of Duisburg-Essen, Germany
Björn Gottfried - University of Bremen, Germany
Christian Kray - University of Newcastle, United Kingdom
Enrico Rukzio - University of Lancaster, United Kingdom
Janna Teltemann - University of Bremen, Germany
Jochen Renz - Australian National University Canberra, Australia
Nico Van de Weghe - Ghent University, Belgium
Niels Henze, University of Oldenburg, Germany
Massimo Zancanaro - FBK-irst, Trento, Italy
Mehul Bhatt - University of Bremen, Germany

Contact
-------
For any questions regarding the workshop, contact

Falko Schmid
Cognitive Systems Group
FB 3 Mathematik & Informatik
Universitaet Bremen