Sender:
From:
Susan Dray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Nov 2006 23:33:58 -0500
CALL FOR PARTICIPATION:

User Centered Design and International Development
A workshop at CHI 2007
Saturday, April 28th, 2007
San Jose, California USA

Much work in international economic and community development emphasizes
empowering host communities in designing and controlling development
projects. Many development projects make use of information and
communication technologies (ICTs) as part of their plan. However, there
have been few explicit efforts to bring together the international
economic and community development, user centered design (UCD) and
interaction design communities to  find ways of designing more appropriate
and effective  solutions that truly meet local needs. The aim of this
workshop is to initiate such a dialogue.

Specifically, we hope to extend the boundaries of the field of Human
Computer Interaction (HCI) by spurring a discussion on how existing UCD
practices can be adapted and modified, and how new practices be developed,
to deal with the unique challenges posed by the context of international
community and economic development.  We call this User Centered Design for
Development or UCD4D.

This workshop will provide a space to exchange experiences, explore
differences between developed and developing world contexts, to develop
new partnerships, and to learn from each other about problems we have
encountered, the solutions that we have proposed and ways of working that
we have discovered.

Topics that we hope to cover in the workshop include:
*  experiences of interaction design in developing countries or with
traditionally underserved populations in developed countries;
*  uses and adaptations of participatory methods in economic and community
development projects;
*  cultural factors in designing for economic and community development;
*  innovative techniques for engaging users in developing world contexts;
*  examples of solutions that are sustainable in context.

We also hope to use this workshop to begin to build an international
community of engaged scholars and thoughtful practitioners who understand
each other and who can bridge between disciplines and boundaries to create
appropriate, effective and sustainable community development solutions.

Outcomes from the workshop will be reported in the journal Information
Technology and International Development (http://mitpress.mit.edu/ITID).
In addition, based upon submissions and the review process we expect to
publish a special issue of the journal on the workshop themes.

For more information on the workshop, please see:
http://www-static.cc.gatech.edu/~mikeb/UCDandIDWorkshop/

For more on the CHI2007 conference, please see:
http://www.chi2007.org/welcome/

This workshop will be open to anyone with relevant experience or interest
in UCD4D and/or ICTs in international economic and community development.
To participate, please submit a 2 page position paper describing your
experience, findings or interests relevant to the themes of the workshop.
Participants will be chosen to represent a good cross section of
communities and key themes.

Papers can be submitted by email to Andy Dearden at [log in to unmask]
Accepted papers will be posted on the workshop website.

Important dates:
January 12th 2007: Submission deadline
February 1st 2007: Notification of acceptance
April 28th 2007: Workshop

Please note:  As with all CHI workshops, at least one author of accepted
papers needs to register for the Workshop and for one day of the
conference itself.

Organizers:
Andy Dearden - Sheffield Hallam University, UK
Michael Best - Georgia Tech, USA
Susan Dray - Dray & Associates, Inc., USA
Ann Light - Queen Mary University, UK.
John Thomas - IBM, USA
Celeste Buckhalter - Georgia Tech, USA
Daniel Greenblatt - Georgia Tech, USA