From:
Joe Clark <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joe Clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Sep 2005 00:56:04 -0400
><http://64.172.101.152/vahiv?page=pr-kb-testfigure&kb=kb-01-01&pp=pr >
>
>What's happening here is that I'm using a CSS class to make the text
>white (same as background) and very small (so it doesn't take up
>much room on the page), and using a link with javascript to change a
>'hidden' <div> to 'visible'.

That text, unless styled with display: none (and even that is iffy),
will always be read by screen readers. Is that what you want?

If so, just use a standard offscreen-positioning technique (like
margin: -9999px).

>Is this a possible solution for providing the required 'long text
>description' for figures? Or does the link have to go to an external
>file?

The possible solution is to use the longdesc attribute (which must
merely point to a valid URL of any kind), not a hack. This is
slightly better than the old D-links, but only slightly.

--

     Joe Clark | [log in to unmask]
     Expect criticism if you top-post