MSc in Human-Centred Systems - City University, London
City University's MSc in Human-Centred Systems will equip you with
techniques and theories with which to design, implement and evaluate
interactive computing systems for the widest range of users. Upon
graduation, you will have excellent knowledge and skills for:
- Designing advanced human-computer interactions
- Analyzing requirements for systems that involve people and computers
- Designing and conducting complex evaluations of interactive computing systems
- Designing and evaluating systems for people with disabilities and the elderly
- Designing effective information visualizations
- Linking user-centred design to mainstream development approaches, eg the UML.
This course is offered as a full-time, 1 year or 2 year part-time MSc.
You will be taught by academic staff in City University's Centre for
Human Computer Interaction Design. Teaching and dissertation work will
take place in the Interaction Lab.
The course is suitable for those with a background in computing or
programming. No prior exposure to the topics of human-computer
interaction (HCI) or user-centred design (UCD) is necessary. Upon
graduation, you will be equipped for careers as usability and
accessibility specialists, interaction designers and information
architects. The course is also excellent preparation for doctoral
WHY STUDY THE MSc IN HUMAN-CENTRED SYSTEMS AT CITY UNIVERSITY LONDON?
- The Centre has well-established links with industry, charity
organisations and government agencies that have an interest (and are
prospective employers of our graduates) in the topic of human-centred
computing. Our teaching is grounded in best practices and co-located
with AbilityNet, a national charity helping disabled adults and
children use computers and the Internet. During your studies, you will
be exposed to AbilityNet's techniques, technologies and case studies.
- You will benefit from working in a £12 million state-of-the-art,
purpose-built space in City University's historic College Building.
The Centre's 75m2 Interaction Lab, which is sponsored by the UK
Vodafone Foundation, will enable you to have access to
state-of-the-art evaluation tools for screen capture, eye-tracking,
data recording and analysis.
- City University's Centre for HCI Design is London's largest research
group in human-computer interaction. The Centre for HCI Design's
research is respected nationally and internationally and has attracted
numerous research projects from research councils and EU frameworks.
This research will be demonstrated throughout the course in all
HOW TO APPLY
You can apply for the MSc in Human-Centred Systems in one of the following ways:
1. Complete an application form online.
2. Request that an application form is sent to you, then complete it
manually and post it back to us.
To apply online, go to
and follow 'How to Apply'. In order to complete your application you
will need the following information:
- Information on all of your higher education qualifications
- Two referees (email addresses). We will email your referees links to
the referee forms.
- Written statement in support of application
- Information on any financial support or scholarships
To receive an application pack in the post please contact:
School of Informatics
London EC1V 0HB
Tel: +44 (0) 20 7040 0248
Fax: +44 (0) 20 7040 0233
Email: [log in to unmask]