From:
Fernanda Viegas <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Fernanda Viegas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Jun 2007 13:45:59 -0400
** Announcement **
** Students can still register at early registration rate. **

CREATIVITY & COGNITION 2007
Deadline for reduced hotel rates extended to May 22, 2007.
Tutorials, workshops and main conference still have spaces.

Join us at Creativity & Cognition 2007 in Washington DC, June 13-15.
http://www.cs.umd.edu/hcil/CC2007/

Creativity & Cognition 2007 is focused on theme of cultivating and
sustaining creativity: understanding how to design and evaluate
computational support tools, digital media, and socio-technical
environments that not only empower our creative processes and abilities,
but that also encourage and nurture creative mindsets and lifestyles.

The Creativity & Cognition Conference series began in 1993 and has
evolved into a lively multidisciplinary event combining research and
practice. Rigorous research is expanding as theoretic foundations are
emerging and goals become more well-defined. Successful practice
manifests itself in a growing array of creativity support tools for
discovery and composition by software and other engineers, diverse
scientists, product and graphic designers, architects, new media
artists, musicians, educators, students, and many others. We believe
that deeper understanding of creative processes and improved support
tools can make more people more creative more of the time.

CONFERENCE EVENTS
Plan your time to participate in the conference opening reception on
Wednesday June 13, 2007 at 6pm at the National Academy where our three
month Art Exhibit will open and we will have a prestigious panel (Rita
Colwell, Sara Diamond, Paul Greenhalgh, and William Wulf) discussion on
Bridging Art and Science with Creativity Support Tools.
Our second conference event on Thursday June 14, 2007 will begin with a
light reception at the Jurys Hotel followed by a visit to the Corcoran
Gallery of Art to visit the exhibit Modernism: Designing a New World
1914-1939.                  The main conference is Thursday and Friday
June 14-15, 2007, at the Jurys Hotel. Join us for the Papers and Demos,
with opening and closing Keynote Speakers Mitchell Resnick and Thecla
Schiphorst.

We expect this to be an enjoyable, fascinating and influential event.
Join us for the experience. Full details are available at:
http://www.cs.umd.edu/hcil/CC2007/

IMPORTANT DATES
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -  Wednesday June 13, 2007

Workshops
Workshop deadlines have been extended to June 4 for attendees
(presentations are filled).  Please contact the workshop organizers.

1) Design Creativity:
       Yong Se Kim and Toshiharu Taura
2) Tools in Support of Creative Collaboration:
        Piotr D. Adamczyk, Kevin Hamilton, Michael B. Twidale, Brian P.
Bailey
3) Pulling Back the Shroud: Modeling Creativity
        David A. Shamma and Ryan Shaw

Tutorials (Registration is open)
1) Understanding and Evaluating Creativity (full day)
       Linda Candy and Zafer Bilda, UTS Sydney, Australia
2) Early Computer Art:  Creativity and Computability (half day)
       Frieder Nake, University of Bremen, Germany
3) Visualization and the Art of Metaphor  (half day)
       Jack Ox, Freelance Artist         Graduate Student Symposium
(Registration is complete)
                 Mary Czerwinski and Jim Hollan

Conference Opening  Reception at National Academy of Sciences Building
           Art Exhibit: Pamela Jennings
             Speculative Data and the Creative Imaginary: Shared Visions
between Art and Technology

Evening Panel
   Bridging Art and Science with Creativity Support Tools
       Rita Colwell, University of Maryland, former Director, U.S.
National Science Foundation         Sara Diamond, President, Ontario
College of Art & Design, Canada
       Paul Greenhalgh, Director, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, USA
       William Wulf, President, National Academy of Engineering, USA

Thursday June 14, 2007
        Conference Papers, Demos & Posters
        Keynote: Mitch Resnick, MIT, USA
        Evening Reception & Visit to Corcoran Gallery of Art

Friday June 15, 2007
        Conference Papers, Demos & Posters
        Keynote: Thecla Schiphorst, Simon Fraser University, Canada