Sender:
From:
"Alex Taylor (MSR)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Apr 2008 16:18:52 +0100
CFP: Imagining Domestic Interiors
Special Issue on Interactive and Adaptive Furniture and Domestic Interiors
Journal of Physical Agents

Submission deadline: 31 July 2008

Robots are set to play an increasing role in our everyday lives,
particularly in our domestic interiors. Already, they have found their way
into vacuum cleaners, sweepers, mops, and other automated service machines
for the home. Looking beyond these largely predictable developments,
advances in self-configurable and adaptive robots promise some radically new
possibilities. Our furniture, for example, may be host to interconnected
assemblies of robotic modules that can re-configure themselves to suit
different purposes, events, or even moods. Building such possibilities into
our surroundings might also enable us to construct adaptive home interiors
that physically age with their occupants, conforming to the changing needs
and operating to support people¹s states of development and health.

Naturally, such visions must be tempered with thought and reflection. It is
not entirely clear why domestic furniture and our physical homes might
really need to be augmented using robotics. Moreover, how does one go about
building a self-configurable chair<let alone environment<that behaves as
expected and that does not simply become a burden to use and own? Deeper
questions are raised too around the evolving nature of our interactions with
things. Giving a degree of mechanical autonomy to our material surroundings
is likely to transform how it is we actively engage with and make sense of
the world, and in doing so feed ongoing debates surrounding material agency.

Given this backdrop, we invite submissions to a Special Issue of the Journal
of Physical Agents (JoPHA < http://www.jopha.net>). Specifically, we invite
submissions that introduce research being undertaken into self-configurable
and adaptive furniture and domestic interiors/spaces. We hope for these
submissions to reflect on what such furniture and interiors might look like,
how they might work, and what they would be like to live with. We also hope
to attract submissions that explore the questions and implications raised by
such work.

By maintaining a breadth to this call, our aim is to bring authors together
from a range of disciplines including, but not limited to: art, design,
architecture, social science, computer science, robotics, artificial
intelligence, smart textiles, furniture design, etc.

Please submit papers of between 10-15 pages to Alex Taylor [log in to unmask]
following the JoPHA author guidelines
<http://www.jopha.net/index.php/jopha/about/submissions#authorGuidelines>

Important dates:
31 July 2008: Submission deadline
1 October 2008: Notification of acceptance
1 December 2008: Deadline for camera-ready articles

Guest Editors:
Auke Ijspeert
School of Computer and Communication Sciences,
EPFL, Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne
Switzerland

Peter Gall Krogh
Architect, Head of Innovation
Alexandra Institute A/S
Denmark

Marianne Graves Petersen
Associate Professor
Computer Science Department, University of Aarhus
Denmark

Alex S. Taylor
Microsoft Research Cambridge
UK