From:
Markus Klann <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Markus Klann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Sep 2007 17:33:12 +0200

            First International Workshop on HCI for Emergencies

                    --- April 5th, Florence, Italy ---
                        www.mobile-response.org/chi

                   --- in conjunction with CHI 2008 ---
                              www.chi2008.org

This workshop is meant to be a hands-on exchange on how to address the
specific challenges of designing interaction with information technology
for emergencies in its broadest sense. This includes how to study actual
work practices in this domain, the identification of the different design
challenges, the understanding of what constitutes good designs, how they
can be achieved in a user-centred way, and how to evaluate designs with a
high and understood level of validity.

Examples of emergencies include (but are not limited to) situations such
as an apartment fire, an imminent heart attack or other life-threatening
medical event, a hurricane or other disaster hitting a populated area, a
panic during a large public event, a malfunction in an airborne plane, a
search for a suspect after some crime has been committed. Moreover we do
not only consider professional emergency responders as users but everybody
who is involved in emergencies and may use information technology,
including victims and any member of the general public.

Before the workshop:
********************

We'd like to invite both researchers and practitioners with an interest in
HCI for Emergencies to submit a position paper describing innovative work
on HCI in the context of emergencies. Case studies and work-in-progress
papers are also welcome if clearly presenting guidelines, practical advice
and lessons learned.

Based on the excepted submissions we intend to identify key positions and
questions concerning HCI for emergencies. As preparation for the workshop
we intend to organize an online forum discussion on these points among the
participants.

During the workshop:
********************

During the first part of the day, the workshop submissions will be
presented, followed by discussions and resulting in a set of scenarios and
topics to guide the workshop. The second part of the day is dedicated to
picking a specific design task for each of the scenarios, followed by an
extended group design session. Afterwards the results from these sessions
are presented, discussed and used for creating a presentation of the
workshop results.

After the workshop:
*******************

We plan to make available on a permanent web-page suitable material created
before or during the workshop, the summary poster of the workshop and
possibly videos of selected presentations. We plan to continue the online
forum discussions started before the workshop, extending it to other
interested parties.

Depending on the number and type of submissions, we plan to invite authors
of selected workshop contributions to a fast-track publication of extended
versions of their papers with either a conference or a journal. Details
about this will follow once available.

Submission Quick Facts:
***********************

Deadline for paper submissions: October 3rd 2007, 5:00PM (PDT).
Length: 4 pages
Format: CHI Extended Abstract Format, www.chi2008.org/formatting.html
Submissions should be e-mailed to: [log in to unmask]
Authors will be notified of acceptance or rejection on November 28th 2007.

For more information please visit www.mobile-response.org/chi

All the best,

The HCI for Emergencies Workshop Committee

Markus Klann, Alessio Malizia, Luca Chittaro, Ignacio Aedo Cuevas, and
Stefano Levialdi.

Program Committee
Ignacio Aedo Cuevas, Nadia Bianchi-Berthouze, Marcos Borges,
John M. Carroll, Tiziana Catarci, Augusto Celentano, Luca Chittaro,
Philip T. Cox, Rita Cucchiara, Alberto Colautti, Alberto Del Bimbo,
Paloma Díaz, Alan Dix, Chris Johnson, Markus Klann, Juan de Lara,
Stefano Levialdi, Alessio Malizia, Massimo Mecella, Philippe Palanque,
Leysia Palen, Bernard Pavard, Steve Tanimoto, Juergen Thierry,
Kent Wittenburg