From:
Leah Buechley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Leah Buechley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Oct 2008 12:47:37 -0600
CALL FOR PARTICIPATION/CALL FOR INSTRUCTABLES: CHI WORKSHOP

DIY for CHI:
Methods, Communities, and Values of Reuse and Customization
Workshop at the 2009 ACM Computer Human Interaction (CHI) conference
Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Workshop Day: April 5, 2009, all day
full call here: http://people.ischool.berkeley.edu/~daniela/diy/

What do glitter and glue, needles and thread, batteries and wires
have to do with CHI? What do makers and crafters have to teach us
about the world, ourselves, and technology? Where can CHI researchers
engage with the rise of professional amateur Do-It-Yourself (DIY)
practitioners? This workshop provides an active playspace for these
communities to come together in making, building, and hacking
technologies and ideas. DIY encompasses a range of design activities
that have become increasingly prominent in online discussion forums
and blogs, in addition to a small-but-growing presence in
professional/research forums such as CHI. Come prepared to
disassemble, smash, break, cut, glue, sew, solder, re-assemble, and
get dirty as we create our DIY future. The workshop will be focusing
on DIY communities, DIY methods, and DIY values and goals through a
series of hands-on and participatory DIY exercises and explorations.

We invite submissions in the form of instructables (see website above
for submission details).  See you in Boston in April!

ORGANIZERS
	Leah Buechley - MIT Media Lab
	Eric Paulos - HCI Institute Carnegie Mellon University
	Daniela Rosner - School of Information, UC Berkeley
	Amanda Williams - School of Information and Computer Sciences, UC
Irvine

IMPORTANT DATES
	Submission deadline: 28th October 2008
	Notification: 28th November 2008