Sender:
From:
Rebecca Randell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Sep 2008 14:43:52 +0100
*CFP: CHI 2009 Workshop: Evaluating new interactions in healthcare:
challenges and approaches *

Healthcare technologies are increasingly pervasive, moving into hospital
wards and patients' homes, presenting new challenges to evaluation. This
one-day workshop will provide a timely opportunity for participants to
share and learn from each other's experiences of evaluating new
healthcare technologies. The workshop will be organized around a series
of activities, through which we will discuss how to conduct evaluations
which allow assessment of the overall impact of technology in its
context of use. We will elaborate the challenges in the evaluation of
new healthcare technologies, raise questions about what we should
evaluate and explore how existing methods of HCI evaluation could be
adapted and expanded. We will establish an agenda for the evaluation of
new technologies in healthcare and develop a community of HCI
practitioners to take the agenda forward.

The workshop will take place at CHI 2009, Boston, April, 2009 - see
http://www.chi2009.org.

We encourage submissions from practitioners, clinicians and researchers
who have experience of evaluating new healthcare technologies. Potential
participants should submit a position paper to the organizers
([log in to unmask]) *by October 23, 2008*. Papers should be
3-4 pages in the CHI Conference Extended Abstracts Format and should
detail your past work in this area, your perspectives on the challenges
and approaches for overcoming those challenges. Participants will be
notified of acceptance or rejection by November 28, 2008. At least one
author of each accepted position paper needs to register for the
workshop and one or more days of the conference. The outcome of the
workshop will be a collection of articles for a special issue of a
journal. It is hoped that workshop participants will collaborate in
developing new research proposals on the topic of evaluating new
interactions in healthcare. A poster summarizing the results of the
workshop will be displayed at the CHI conference.

Up-to-date information on the workshop will be available at:
http://healthcare-interactions.blogspot.com/

*Important Dates*
Submission deadline: 23rd October 2008
Notification: 28th November 2008
Workshop: April 2009

Papers to be submitted by email to [log in to unmask]

*Workshop organizers *
Rebecca Randell, City University London, UK
Geraldine Fitzpatrick, University of Sussex, UK
Stephanie Wilson, City University London, UK
Lena Mamykina, Georgia Institute of Technology, USA
Charlotte Tang, University of Calgary, Canada

--
Dr Rebecca Randell
Researcher in Human-Computer Interaction