Sender:
From:
Florian 'Floyd' Mueller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Jan 2007 13:45:14 +1100
EXERTION INTERFACES Workshop at CHI 2007, San Jose, CA, USA
Sunday April 29 2007

  _____

Call for Participation

Exertion Interfaces are interfaces that deliberately require intense
physical effort. They can be expected to be physically exhausting when used
for an extended period of time, and are therefore working in the opposite
direction of most conventional interfaces that aim for ease of use and
efficient operation. However, recent research has shown that physical,
exhausting interfaces can be beneficial for fighting personal weight
problems, encouraging social interaction between participants and allowing
for new gaming experiences.

This one-day CHI '07 workshop will have three primary goals: (1) to share
information among researchers and industry practitioners interested in this
area, (2) to identify trends in this area and (3) to discuss evaluative
measures and their applicability to this domain. One possible additional
outcome of the workshop could be a conceptual statement paper or a co-edited
book on the state of the art in this area.

This will be the first time people interested in these physical activity
interfaces will come together at CHI, and we are aiming to make the workshop
according to the theme: hard work, but heaps of fun!

We started a wiki where every accepted participant will be able to
contribute. We are aiming to get a great mix of people together, make sure
everyone gets to know everyone in the field, and encourage collaboration
afterwards through some networking tools. We'll discuss the future of the
field, where Exertion Interfaces fit into the CHI domain, how to evaluate
Exertion Interfaces, what projects we want to do next, and are of course
also open for your suggestions.

For more info, check out the wiki:

  workshopchi2007.pbwiki.com

How to participate:
Send a position paper of 3 (NEW!) pages max. to workshopCHI2007 at
exertioninterfaces.com describing your research interest and your relevant
work in this area. It must be prepared in the Conference Extended Abstracts
Format. Selection criteria will include participants' backgrounds and
interests and quality of the work described in the position papers.

Note: At least one author of accepted papers needs to register for the
workshop and for one day of the conference itself.

Important Dates:
12 Jan 2007, 5:00 PM (1700) PDT: Position papers due
1 Feb 2007: Notification of acceptance.
9 Apr 2007: Workshop registration deadline

Email: workshopCHI2007 at exertioninterfaces.com

We are looking forward to reviewing your submissions!

The workshop organizers:

Florian 'Floyd' Mueller
Stefan Agamanolis