Date:
Mon, 24 May 2010 15:15:59 -0700
Subject:
Sender:
From:
Silvia Lindtner <[log in to unmask]>
CFP: Tracing Design(ed) Authority: A Workshop on Critical Modes of
Making
A workshop at the Designing Interactive Systems Conference http://www.dis2010.org/
August 17th, 2010, Aarhus, Denmark
Submission Deadline: June 15, 2010
website: http://www.criticalmaking.com/tracingdesignedauthority/

Organizers: Marisa Cohn, Silvia Lindtner, Ann Light, Matt Ratto, Tobie
Kerridge

We seek interdisciplinary scholars interested in exploring the ways in
which authority is distributed throughout the design process, what
kind of authority inheres in design, and also the ways that we design
authority into processes and materials. We invite designers and
researchers interested in how their interventions have impact to think
critically and comparatively about different modes of critical
production, to explore the intersection of critical making and
thinking, and to attempt to trace forms of authority through the
production process.  Rather than merely discuss this concept of
design(ed) authority, we will engage in tracing authority through the
design process from the crafting of position papers, to our
engagements with material making in the workshop itself.
Designerly ways of doing, for Latour, are not revolutionary acts but
instead continuous collaborative interventions. He names this mode of
designerly authority the “cautious prometheus.” Similarly, Haraway
describes the relationships between the scientist and the scientific
method, through the figure of the “modest witness,” a position of
distancing from the world through tools and instruments, that allows
one to speak objectively about the world. These “positions” articulate
authority, authority that is constituted through one’s methods, tools,
techniques, modes of knowledge and material production, sets of
stories about selves and relating to the world and to others.  In our
roles as designers, practitioners, researchers, we establish authority
in relation to our subjects and materials through our methodological
commitments and the roles that we play within our respective
institutions, collaborations, and projects.

TO APPLY

In lieu of submitting a traditional position paper, we ask for you to
produce a “position” as a critical reflection on your own modes of
working and making technology.  This “position” should address or
respond to your own modes of making and also be taken on as a site of
critical production. As you craft this “position” think about the kind
of authority you inhabit in your practice of technology production and
that you articulate through the methodological commitments that you
take on.  The “position” that you construct does not need to be a
literal description of your methods, the applications you design or
test, but rather a critical response to your own position as a
designer and researcher.
We intend this exercise to be very open-ended and invite you to be
creative and playful with your project. Your “position” can be any
combination of text, video, audio, and/or visual artifacts, (e.g. a
tangible UI, a hacked piece, a craft, a document, etc). We invite you
to share the “position” that you construct via this website, or to
bring artifacts with you to the workshop. (You might even consider
adopting the “position,” playing out this role at the workshop). Think
of this as a way of introducing yourself and your research in a
different mode of making. Instead of presenting your work and
findings, we are asking you to reflect on your own authoritative
position and how it is reciprocally constructed through your
methodological commitments. For details about how to craft a position
check out the workshop website: http://www.criticalmaking.com/tracingdesignedauthority/?page_id=2
We ask that you document the position in some way that can be shared
via this website and to submit a short text (anything between 1
paragraph and 2 pages) to accompany your “position”. The amount of
text will depend in part upon the form that your position takes, and
how much you want it to speak for itself.

The position along with the accompanying text should respond to the
following questions:

What are the modes of making, inscription practices, and
methodological toolkits that you are committed to or engaged in?
How does authority flow through and into these practices and techniques?
How do you craft your own authority as part of your mode of making?
How does authority manifest within your situation, through the role
you have within certain institutions, projects, and commitments?
During the workshop we will draw upon these positions as we engage in
hands-on material design excercises. Your “positions” will help
establish the objects, methods, tools, techniques, and artifacts that
will be in play during the workshop.
Please email your submissions to [log in to unmask] by June 15, 2010.

--
Silvia Lindtner
PhD Candidate