Date:
Mon, 15 Sep 2008 10:27:36 -0700
*CFP: CHI 2009 Workshop: Best Practices in Longitudinal Research*

Traditional user research and evaluation methods tend to focus on
'first-time' experiences with products, which trends the results towards
discoverability problems, rather than usability concerns that may persist
over time. This workshop will extend current thinking by an in-depth
discussion of methods and metrics for longitudinal data collection. Our goal
is to identify and describe best practices for longitudinal research.

This is the fourth event in an ongoing effort by the organizers to enhance
our current body of knowledge about longitudinal research. We invite
experienced practitioners and academics who have experience with
longitudinal studies to* submit a 3-4 page position paper plus a short
bio*by email to
*[log in to unmask] by October 23, 2008* in order to participate in
this one-day workshop.

Your position paper should describe a longitudinal research case study,
including:
 Research questions addressed
 Study design and methodologies used
 Participant characteristics, recruiting, retention
 Data analysis and comparison techniques used
 Lessons learned. We are interested in both successes and failures of the
study.

A sample case study template is available at:
http://longitudinalusability.wikispaces.com/CaseStudyTemplate
We will select a variety of case studies from participants with diverse
experience. Participants will receive all the position papers in advance, so
they may formulate discussion questions before the workshop. The organizers
will also publish a draft agenda and for the in-depth discussions during the
workshop.

Up-to-date information on the workshop will be available at:
http://longitudinalusability.wikispaces.com/

Please note that workshop participants must register for the workshop and
for one or more days of the CHI 2009 conference. Workshop fees for
participants in 2009 for a one-day workshop is TBD by the CHI 2009 Workshop
Committee. Workshop fees for participants in 2008 (last year) were
approximately $150 ($75 for a student) for a one-day workshop.

*Important Dates:*
Submission deadline 23rd October 2008
Notification 29th November 2008
Workshop April 2009

*Organizers*
 Catherine Courage, salesforce.com, [log in to unmask]
 Jhilmil Jain, Hewlett-Packard Laboratories, [log in to unmask]
 Stephanie Rosenbaum, Tec-Ed Inc, [log in to unmask]

Regards,
Jhilmil Jain