From:
Maribeth Back <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Maribeth Back <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Feb 2009 14:28:50 -0800
Greetings,

We invite you to respond to a Call for Participation for the "Making
Meetings Work" Special Issue of the  International Journal of
Web-based Communities, based around the research areas that we have
been examining in a series of UbiComp and CSCW workshops on smart
environments for the workplace. We see a deep interest in this
community in understanding, augmenting, and challenging meeting
practices and group collaborations across a variety of media spaces
and contexts.

The call (copied below) is online at:

http://www.inderscience.com/browse/callpaper.php?callID=1127

Please feel free to ping us with any questions.

Best regards,

Maribeth Back, Scott Carter, Saadi Lahlou

International Journal of Web Based Communities (IJWBC)

Call For Participation
Special Issue on: "Making Meetings Work: Design and Evaluation of
Online, Mobile, and Physical Environments for Enhancing Collaborative
Work"

Guest Editors:  Maribeth Back, Scott Carter, Saadi Lahlou

This special issue grows out of a series of workshops at the UbiComp
and CSCW conferences for a community of people interested in
technologies that support meetings as well as how those technologies
are changing our notion of what a meeting is. We see a deep interest
in this community in understanding, augmenting, and challenging
meeting practices and group collaborations across a variety of media
spaces and contexts.

In this special issue, we are particularly focused on the demands of
the increasingly distributed global workforce. Meeting these demands
may require supporting collocated, remote, and mobile participants
simultaneously. Similarly, it may be critical to support a spectrum of
richness and responsiveness. In order to move forward, it is important
to bring together research as well as systems from a variety of areas
including smart environments, web videoconferencing, online virtual
worlds, mobile multimedia applications, and social software.

One of the difficulties with this mashup approach is striking an
effective balance between usability and functionality. Therefore, we
also encourage work that focuses on design and real-world user
experience. In particular, we are interested in studies that show how
to enable easy and effective crossovers between media like virtual
worlds, videoconference systems, and mobile applications.

We encourage papers that address issues such as (but not limited to)
the following:

- How can real-time face-to-face or video interaction complement
asynchronous and intermittent mobile communication?

- What techniques can help orchestrate multiple streams of input with
multiple output devices?

- What kind of displays and system management tools are needed in
smart environments?

- How can technology overcome the “second-class citizen” effect often
felt by remote participants, so that all participants feel equally
involved regardless of medium?

- In what ways do web- and mobile-based meetings intermingle with
other work processes?

- How can the physical design of workspaces and meeting rooms aid in
the integration of new technologies for collaboration?

Subject Coverage
Examples of topics appropriate to the theme of technologically
enhanced collaboration environments include, but are not limited to:

•	Social requirements for formal and informal online meetings or other
forms of work
•	Ubiquitous displays: multiple screens, multiple media
•	Interactive furnishings and smart environments
•	Rich media for mobile devices in conference settings
•	Remote and local multimedia conference support systems
•	Designing across cultural and linguistic barriers
•	Learning from prototypes and experimental systems
•	Content preparation and presentation
•	Meeting space design and physical form for smart objects
•	Context-aware systems for conferencing
•	Meeting capture and access
•	Media transmission and storage
•	Security, data handling, and privacy
•	Spontaneous integration of public/private data & devices
•	Appropriate design and evaluation techniques

Notes for Prospective Authors
Submitted papers should not have been previously published nor be
currently under consideration for publication elsewhere.

All papers are refereed through a peer review process. A guide for
authors, sample copies and other relevant information for submitting
papers are available on the Author Guidelines page.

Important Dates
Deadline for abstract submission: 30 April 2009 Deadline for paper
submission: 30 June 2009 Notification to authors: 31 July 2009
Deadline for camera ready papers: 31 August 2009

Editors and Notes
Please send a copy in the form of an MS Word or PDF file attached to
an e-mail (details in Author Guidelines) to the following:

Maribeth Back
FX Palo Alto Laboratory
3400 Hillview Ave. Bldg. #4
Palo Alto CA USA 94304
Email: [log in to unmask]

with another copy to:
Editorial Office
E-mail: [log in to unmask]

Please include in your submission the title of the Special Issue, the
title of the Journal and the name of the Guest Editor.