From:
Jon Froehlich <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jon Froehlich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Dec 2011 22:00:17 -0600
Please consider submitting to our CHI2012 workshop:

*
*

*CFP CHI2012 Workshop:
**Personal Informatics in Practice: Improving Quality of Life Through Data*

http://personalinformatics.org/chi2012/cfp**

Personal informatics refers to a class of software and hardware systems
that help individuals collect personal information to improve
self-understanding. Improving self-understanding can foster self-insight
and promote positive behaviors: healthy living, energy conservation, etc.
The development of personal informatics applications poses new challenges
for human-computer interaction and creates opportunities for applications
in various domains related to quality of life, such as fitness, nutrition,
wellness, mental health, and sustainability. This workshop will continue
the conversations from the CHI2010 <http://personalinformatics.org/chi2010>
 and CHI2011 <http://personalinformatics.org/chi2011/papers> workshops on
personal informatics.

*Focal Themes
*The focal themes for this workshop are: (1) practical lessons from
previous research and development experiences that can guide interface
design for systems that allow users to collect and reflect on personal
data; (2) requirements for building robust personal informatics
applications; and (3) design and development of infrastructures that make
personal informatics applications easier to create and evaluate.

As the third consecutive personal informatics workshop at CHI, we aim not
simply to extend past work but also to look backwards at the past three
years to share and discuss the successes and failures of previous projects
and methods. Our goal is to continue to build and enrich the personal
informatics community and to serve as a sort of collective feedback loop
for the research in this growing area.

*Suggested Topics
*We invite contributions from various disciplines on topics including but
not limited to:

   - New and current personal informatics applications and systems on
   desktop, web-based and mobile platforms.
   - Sensor and life-logging technologies that monitor various personal
   behavioral information.
   - Effective feedback techniques that help users become more aware of
   their own behaviors, such as visualizations, virtual agents, and persuasive
   technologies.
   - Effects of self-understanding and self-awareness on behaviors and
   daily life.
   - Methods of conducting long-term studies to determine effects of
   personal informatics on user behavior in various domains.
   - Studies of personal informatics systems in the wild (either research
   prototypes or commercial systems such as Fitbit or Zeo).

*Submission Details
*We invite technologists, designers, and behavioral scientists working on
topics related to personal informatics. Submit a position paper (2 to 4
pages) in the ACM Extended Abstracts format
<http://www.chi2011.org/authors/format.html#extendedformat>about
your ongoing work, recent results, study methods, or perspectives on
personal informatics. Papers will be peer-reviewed and 15-20 participants
will be selected by relevance and likelihood of stimulating and
contributing to this discussion. Email your paper in PDF format to
[log in to unmask]  <[log in to unmask]>with subject "CHI 2012 Workshop
Submission" by January 13, 2012.

Note: At least one author of each accepted paper must register for the
workshop and for one or more days of the CHI conference.

*
*

*Important Dates*

Position papers due: January 13, 2011

Acceptance notification: February 10, 2011

Workshop date: May 6, 2011

Thank you,

Ian Li <http://ianli.com/> | Post-doc at CMU
Yevgeniy “Eugene” Medynskiy <http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~eugenem/> | PhD