From:
Craig Spannring <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Feb 2000 19:20:18 -0700
I'm kind of in the dark about accessing databases from Ada95.
I've seen mention of SAME and SAMEDL, but I can't seem to locate any
documentation about those.  Does anyone actually use/support those?

Unless something else pops It looks like my options are
  1) Use thin bindings to whatever C library the DB vendor supplies.
  2) Write thick bindings to the vendor supplied C library.
  3) Use thin bindings to ODBC.
  4) Use Pascal Obry's bindings to ODBC.

The 3rd and 4th choices only work for MS-Windows.  Choice 1 means my
code would be specific to one RDBMS not to mention messy.  Choice 2
requires a lot of work, but if the bindings were done properly, the
calling code could be (mostly) database independent in roughly the
same way JDBC applications are DB independent;  Only the package body
for the bindings would have to be rewritten for each RDBMS.

If I can't find a better solution I'm leaning toward #2.  I'd rather
not reinvent wheels I don't have to, namely the package specification.
Are there (documented) database access specifications available?

 Life is short.                  | Craig Spannring
      Bike hard, ski fast.       | [log in to unmask]
 Any sufficiently horrible technology is indistinguishable from Perl.