************CALL FOR PAPERS***************
Enhancing interaction spaces by social media for the elderly
Workshop at ECSCW 2009, Vienna, Austria 7-8 September
The extension of CSCW research towards new domains, such as the home,
has brought up many ideas to support ageing in place. However, the
social wellbeing as a pivotal pillar of healthiness besides physical and
psychical health has not gained much attention yet. This workshop aims
to address the area of social wellbeing of the elderly by means of
focussing on social media, such as Social TV and social support online
communities for elder people in their homes. By bringing together CSCW
and social media researchers we wish to open up discussions on the
development of new interaction and coordination spaces for wellbeing and
social support which enhance the spaces of physical home environments.
The workshop especially welcomes empirical studies and work which pay
attention to concepts of spatiality and by this shed light on modes of
perception, appropriation and use of spaces by elder persons for
informing domestic media design.
Contributions are welcomed on such topics as:
- Ethnographic studies on elderly people at home.
- Analysis and design of software fostering existing local communities
and personal networks.
- Analysis and design of online social support systems.
- Design of software contributing to formulate virtual generational
- Design of (haptic) input/output devices in the context of social
medial for the elderly.
- Usage studies of home-based social media applications by elderly people.
- 20th of June - Deadline for position papers
- 6th of July - Notification of acceptance (early registration end 17th
- 7th-8th of September - Workshops days at ECSCW
Position papers should contain a brief overview (max. 5000 words) over
the key ideas of the presentation and some information on the
occupational background of the submitter.
Papers have to be sent as a .pdf or .doc file to [log in to unmask]
After the workshop, the authors will have the optional possibility to
send a long version of their position paper for a publication in a
Myriam Lewkowicz*, Claudia Mueller+, Cornelius Neufeldt+, Volker Wulf+
*Universite de Technologie de Troyes (UTT), France
+ University of Siegen, Germany
Contact address: [log in to unmask]
To unsubscribe, send an empty email to
mailto:[log in to unmask]
For further details of CHI lists see http://sigchi.org/listserv