CHI-WEB Archives

CHI-WEB@LISTSERV.ACM.ORG

Sender:
Date:
Fri, 30 Jul 2010 08:17:11 -0400
Subject:
From:
Hal Shubin <[log in to unmask]>
Do you use Morae, and do you capture keystrokes? What do you think about the fact that you're storing your participants' passwords  in the video?

I've brought this up with TechSmith a couple of times, asking for an option to block keystroke capture in password fields. They've always said that because they can't guarantee to identify every password field, they don't do it -- they don't want us to think we're more protected than we are. I argue that they should alert us to this problem, but still offer the option. It's better to be protected most of the time than not at all.

In this age of identity theft, it makes me very nervous to have people's passwords. If you agree, either let them know (I think the product feedback form would work: http://www.techsmith.com/company/contact/productfeedback.asp) or let me know and I'll forward whatever comments I get from you all.

I wouldn't normally sic a bunch of users on a software company, but this just seems wrong to me.

thanks				-- hs

Hal Shubin  -  Interaction Design, Inc.
617 489 6595  - www.user.com

            CHI-WEB: www.sigchi.org/resources/web/faq.html