From:
Karuna Venter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Karuna Venter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Nov 2003 14:07:37 -0800
Hello again,

I am playing with a Search interface with some very specific parameters, and
it has started to lead me down the road of looking at using DIVs to present
Search criteria.  Here are some of the requirements:

1) Use a limited space (a horizontal nav "bar", about the size of a typical
HTML drop-down menu)
2) Present 5 menus of Search criteria, each of which are related to the
other and,
3) Provide the ability to select more than one option in any of the menus
(theoretically changing all of the options in the other menus in response)

So - has anyone used a fly-out system to present available Search
parameters?  If you haven't used it, have you seen it used anywhere?  I am
seeking any examples, learnings, warnings, encouragement, etc.  We have a
very limited group of users, all of whom are advanced searchers and software
engineers to boot, so breaking convention is nominally OK here.  Already we
are proposing limiting the browsers to IE 5.5 and above, so technical
considerations about JavaScript aren't so much of an issue.

Please respond to me and I'll collect and summarize responses.

Thanks,

Karuna Venter
Information Architect