CHI-WEB Archives

CHI-WEB@LISTSERV.ACM.ORG

From:
Tania Lang <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tania Lang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Oct 2005 21:02:14 +1000
I vent in the vain hope that others will be convinced of the need to get
rid of Reset buttons.  This probably should be in a blog somewhere but I
am hoping people will read this and make them think (if you still
believe in Reset buttons).

Tonight I was booking a flight for an interstate business trip.  During
my booking the airline (Qantas) kindly offered me new functionality
which was the ability to view and record your history of flights booked
by your business.  I thought this would be handy as I am always looking
for the tax invoices for flights at tax time and having to go back to my
emails to find and print them off.

And so, I clicked on the register link which opened a new window (half
way through my flight booking session).  As I was midway through another
task, I quickly filled out the form and clicked on the first button I
saw without reading the wording.........

Reset

I hadn't even removed my finger from the left click button before I
realised but it was too late.  I tried in vain to quickly click on
Submit but the damage was done.  I went back a page and was presented
with a blank form.  I was so annoyed and didn't want to lose my flight
reservation so I aborted the process.

Yes I may be a user of one but Qantas just lost the ability to direct
market to my business and track my booking behaviour and I will keep
getting my tax invoices from my old emails.

Frustrated and hoping that other designers learn from this.  I may be
the only one out there who does this but I doubt it.

cheers
Tania Lang
Peak Usability
Brisbane, Australia