CHI-WEB Archives

CHI-WEB@LISTSERV.ACM.ORG

From:
Juan Lanus <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Juan Lanus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Oct 2005 18:38:43 -0300
On 10/25/05, [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I'm not sure if one can say that human error is always the result of bad
> usability.
Me not quite sure too.
It's a working stance. If my users make errors then it MIGHT be my
faulty design or implementation.
I try to protect the users from their own errors.

I beleive that if I software developer were designing a car driver's
interaction then many people would have already crashed and the
survivors would be persecuting me.

So when I see a user error I think about what to change so it won't
happen any more.
Like when a plane crashes: the "black box" is used as feedback for to
fix something if possible.
BTW, do you know that once a plane crashed by an interaction error
with software? It's in Alan Cooper's book "The inmates ..."

Well, that's the idea I try to convey about designer's liability.

As of the chidren, some of mine are very experts in PCs. The girls
don't. My (only) daughter has no idea, besides performing as a master
in Tetris.

Saludos!
--
Juan