CHI-WEB Archives

CHI-WEB@LISTSERV.ACM.ORG

Ethan McKinney <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 23 Jul 2005 08:28:23 -0700
I heard Leah Guren talk about this not long ago. She pointed out that
you're not meant to read labels or headings as if they were sentences:
don't expect a subject, a verb, etc. Using title case indicates this to
the user, even if they are not aware of it.

True, your example is very difficult to read, but it's something of a
specious example. If you've got a label that long, you need to re-write it.

Now, if you really need long explanatory text in the interface, it
should be in sentence case, not title case. However, explanatory text
should not be part of control labels and certainly doesn't belong in a
heading!

Ethan McKinney
Broadcom, Inc.