From:
SH Ramlet <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
SH Ramlet <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Oct 2006 13:49:48 -0500
I agree with dpusey pretty much entirely.  In our organization I have some
additional observations:

We use wireframes as part of the detailed requirements and design
specification; therefore, the two aren't entirely separate.  Our QA group
uses that specification to write their test cases, so if development does
not match the wireframes--i.e. if a developer or graphic designer redesigns
the application outside of the scope of the requirements definition--the
tests may fail.

Our situation is slightly different, in that I create wireframes and the
design, and sometimes the developers will offer design changes in the
process of construction.

However, we work in an Agile development environment where, ideally, all of
our project team members, including the customer, are involved every step of
the way.  The entire team is rather quickly made aware of any changes.  We
can either balk or adjust our project accordingly.  As dpusey does, I work
with people who have great ideas (many better than mine) and who feel
comfortable suggesting them. We also work in an environment where people
will defer to a design choice that is more popular, more usable, better
defended, or finally made by the person with ultimate decision power
(hopefully the user, through testing, and/or the project sponsor).

I think a lot of the secret to success is the disposition of the team
members and their willingness to work collaboratively.  As the designer (and
analyst), I don't have a corner on the market of good design. I have a
responsibility to set and enforce guidelines for my practice within the
organization and to take responsibility for ensuring the best possible
design is done, whether it's all mine or not.

I don't have a good answer for question 2, because I don't have the proper
context for it in our organizational structure. We often work with graphic
designers who have web experience, and our work overlaps frequently.  They
often improve on our designs, and we often improve on theirs.  Again, it's
imperative for frequent, short collaborative sessions and open communication
to occur, in order that everyone have ownership in what it is we are trying
to build.

S. H. Ramlet