From:
marilyn tahl <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
marilyn tahl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Jan 2009 11:14:24 -0800
William - interesting discussion. I'm in agreement with Max about
treating ratings and survey scales differently.

I like putting labels on the scales for survey questions to ensure
users are working with a consistent mental model. In William's
example, it seems that the need for authorship got in the way of the
goal of creating an easily understandable scale that ins't open to
interpretation so it can yield unequivocal results. The beauty of
"standard" likert scale divisions is that they are hard to
misunderstand.

Whenever I depart from the norms, I make sure to use parallel wording
pairs for positive and negative (Always/Never, etc.,) and  always
preflight with a test group/ go back and ask if any of any scale
seemed confusing or was open to interpretation.

With ratings, endpoints only work because the user can easily grasp
where s/he is on the continuum.

All this has worked well for me for quite a while. Maybe I'm just
lucky. It's doable to create friendly or audience-related (read
"hip") questions AND still have the necessary rigor. It just takes
paying attention and getting the ego of authorship out of the way.

My $0.02.

Marilyn Tahl

Marilyn Tahl

c 650.868.6601  | o 530.333.2968

"Empathy is not just about stepping into another's shoes. First you
must remove your own shoes."  - Indian proverb