From:
"Patti Shank, PhD, CPT" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 11 Jan 2010 16:59:47 -0700
Hal,

There is a fair amount of research on patient-centered care, but I'm
guessing that research-to-practice suffers as  much as it does in most
domains and pragmatics interfere in how things REALLY get done. One of the
premier organizations that works in this arena is the Institute for
Healthcare Improvement http://www.ihi.org/ihi. (There are a ton of others.
Google healthcare quality improvement.)

One of the ways that usability, information architecture, and user-centered
design folks can improve patient care is to help health care communications
folks make materials that are easier for patients and their family to
understand and use. For example, I worked on a patient information project
where the materials were hard to understand and weren't originally written
from the perspective of patient and family needs. It was great (and very
meaningful) to make them more useful/valuable/helpful. I adore that kind of
work.

I've thought about writing a book called, "Don't Let Hospitals Kill Your
Parents," based on the notes I kept during truly horrifying hospital
experiences (in multiple hospitals) in the last few years of my parents'
lives. Unfortunately, you have to be your own patient advocate. And doing so
is very hard.

Patti

Contribute to Volume 2 of the Online Learning Idea Book!
http://www.learningpeaks.com/ideabook2_FAQs.pdf

Patti Shank PhD
Learning Peaks LLC
Instruction and information designers
www.learningpeaks.com

Editor,  The Online Learning Idea Book
Co-author, Essential Articulate Studio '09