CHI-WEB Archives

CHI-WEB@LISTSERV.ACM.ORG

From:
Dimple Mohan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dimple Mohan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Feb 2005 12:55:17 -0500
In a recent discussion with my production manager about sitemaps I was
told that every website  in our production process should have a
sitemap link whether the site was a 10 page or a 10,000 page website.
This link would simply list  the main sections and sub sections of the
navigation.
  In addition our sitemap deliverable was to be created in a top-down
hierarchy even before we receive content from the client. In her mind a
sitemap defines the content that is expected of the client.

I am new on the job and also I am from another school of thought and so
before I go back to her with my ideas,  I wanted to read your thoughts,
ideas and experiences with the same. Some questions I'd like to see
answered are:
What elements comprise your sitemap deliverable? At what stage of your
production process do you start creating this deliverable? Do you
create one at all? If not how what are your approaches to offering
navigation and content type suggestions to your client? Do you think
metadata, content tagging and keyword site searches can mitigate the
use of a site map? Would you recommend Site Indexes as a better
navigation tool than site maps? Any research or writing to support your
input?

Also, I would appreciate if you could direct me to reports or writings
or findings on the importance and approach to creating sitemap
deliverables as well the popularity of the use of the site indexes in
web initiatives today.

Thanks,
Dimple Mohan