From:
Cindy Lu <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 7 Mar 2005 10:03:01 -0500
>This seems like a perfect opportunity to do some user research!  My
>experience is that, in a standoff, we MUST ask users for input, since
>they are the only ones who should tell us what's easier for them to
>accomplish their goals.  Neither of you is wrong.  That's the problem.
>
>So, I think that in this situation, my opinion (or yours, or
>"Robert's") doesn't matter.  Ask the users...as formally or informally
>as your budget can handle.

Susan,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.  However, I would like to say that you
don't ask users how to design.  You understand what users need, what
problems they want to solve and then you design for them.  You can test the
design with users and verify your assumptions.  We do have a usability
testing planned but not at this stage (and it is out of my control).

Our debate focuses on whether we should provide redundant menus like in
desktop application and whether the menus should be labled as File, Edit,
View, etc.  For example, should there be any File menus floating above the
commands, Reply, Forward, Delete in your webmail application? Should there
be a command center where all redundant controls are present besides the
knobs you already have by the burners?

What I am looking for is the current practice in designing web applications.

Thanks!

- Cindy
HFE Consulting, LLC
http://www.hfec.biz