From:
Lin-Lin Chen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lin-Lin Chen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Nov 2009 20:30:18 -0500
International Journal of Design
CALL FOR PAPERS
Special Issue on Designing for Aesthetics of Interaction
http://www.ijdesign.org/ojs/index.php/IJDesign/announcement

Now that the world of HCI has united with the world of product design, and
computers are no longer merely a means for doing our jobs but also an integral
part of our lives, one might question the appropriateness of functionality and
efficiency as the main guiding principles for design. The spectrum of
efficiency, productivity and, in general, "getting things done" has been
enriched by other values, such as those represented by curiosity, playfulness,
intimacy and creativity. User experience and the aesthetics of that experience
are becoming increasingly paramount.

Furthermore, when we look at the abundance of interactive products on the
market, we can see a shift in aesthetic focus, moving from aesthetics of
appearance to aesthetics of interaction. Can designers design products that
not only look attractive at first sight, but are also beautiful to use? What
makes for aesthetics of interaction, how can we design for such an
interaction, and how can we model and study the interactive experiences that
are central to such an approach? Some more specific questions might be:
What is the role of embodiment and narratives in the interactive experience?
Does aesthetics of interaction require a phenomenological point of view? Can
one study aesthetics of interaction without using one's hands, that is, without
actually designing and building experiential prototypes?

The field of Aesthetics of Interaction is indeed emerging, and emerging in
many different directions, with different definitions, different models, different
implementations. This special issue of the International Journal of Design aims
to reflect on the status quo and to find new paths toward a maturity of this
area of research. We are seeking high-quality, original papers that address
conceptual, theoretical, methodological and practical issues of designing for
aesthetics of interaction--papers that will serve to enhance the overall body
of interaction design knowledge. Possible topics include:

- Theoretical approaches to aesthetics of interaction: foundational notions,
theoretical frameworks, philosophical embedding, and links to existing theories
that are relevant to interaction design
- Methods, tools and approaches for designing and evaluating aesthetics of
interaction
- Design and evaluation cases, including experiential prototypes

Schedule

*Full Paper Due: 1 March 2010*
Notification of Acceptance: 1 May 2010
Final Version of Paper Due: 1 June 2010
Special Issue Publication Date: 1 August 2010

Submission of Papers

Manuscripts should be prepared with the template file and guidelines found at
http://www.ijdesign.org/authorGuidelines. Submitted papers should not have
been previously published nor be currently under consideration for publication
elsewhere. A double-blind review process will be employed for this special
issue.

Manuscripts should be sent through the on-line system at
http://www.ijdesign.org/submissions. Authors should choose "Special Issue on
Designing for Aesthetics of Interaction" as the Journal Section when
submitting papers.

Special Issue Editors

Kees Overbeeke
Department of Industrial Design