From:
Rob Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rob Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Dec 2010 08:56:44 -0500
(apologies for multiple posting)

CHI 2011 Workshop on Crowdsourcing and Human Computation: Systems, Studies, and Platforms

May 8, 2011
Vancouver, Canada

Workshop URL: http://crowdresearch.org
Contact email: [log in to unmask]

Overview
----------------
Crowdsourcing and human computation are transforming human-computer interaction: from games with a purpose, to creative uses of Mechanical Turk, to massive volunteer projects like Wikipedia, to new ways to run user studies and new interactive systems powered by crowds. We are just beginning to learn what's possible when we harness the crowd in human-computer interaction. The goal of this workshop is to stake out a research agenda for our field.

This one-day workshop will bring together researchers within and beyond the CHI community who have demonstrated interest in crowdsourcing and human computation, in order to lay out a framework for continued innovation. We aim to gather researchers who are:

   * Studying how to use crowdsourcing as a tool in user-centered design and HCI research
   * Building and studying systems powered by human computation and crowd contributions
   * Studying crowdsourcing platforms like Mechanical Turk and interested in engineering better platforms

In addition to community building, we want to produce several deliverables:

   * A research agenda for the field
   * A set of requirements for an ideal crowdsourcing platform for HCI work
   * A group-edited bibliography drawing together crowdsourcing work from many disciplines

These deliverables will be published on the workshop’s web site and maintained going forward.

Note that this workshop is not intended for presentations of original research work. After a round of introductory lightning talks, we will spend most of the day in group discussion.

Submissions
--------------------
Please submit a 2-4-page position paper in the HCI archive format (http://chi2011.org/authors/format.html) by January 14, 2011 to [log in to unmask] This workshop is not archival (unlike workshops in some non-SIGCHI communities), so work shared in the position paper can be later submitted to future archival research venues.

The position paper should

    * Describe the authors' experience with crowdsourcing and/or human computation,
    * Outline the authors' vision for future research in the field, and
    * Include a short biography of the author wishing to attend the workshop (100-150 words).

Participants will be selected for diversity of background and innovation of future vision and goals, as expressed in the position papers.

Dates
-------------------
Position papers due Jan 14, 2011
Notification of acceptance by Feb 11, 2011
Workshop held on May 8, 2011 in Vancouver, Canada

Organizers
Michael Bernstein (MIT CSAIL)
Ed Chi (PARC)
Lydia Chilton (UW/MSRA)