From:
Janet Vertesi <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Janet Vertesi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Dec 2010 15:27:37 -1000
SECOND CALL! Deadline for submission: January 14, 2011.

CFP: TRANSNATIONAL HCI: Humans, Computers and Interactions in Transnational Context
A workshop at CHI 2011
May 8, 2011, Vancouver BC, Canada

Recent studies in Human-Computer Interaction have turned to examining computing in non-Western contexts, increasingly recognizing that technologies and activities of their participants are not bounded by single geographies, cultures, or borders. In our interactions with everyday technologies, we are increasingly tied to people and machines in other countries, cultures and networks. Such activities require us to consider technologies not just in national, but also in a transnational context. That is, humans, computers and interactions not limited to single countries or cultures, but forming communities across spaces, managing boundary-crossings, and forming hybrid practices.

This workshop will bring together researchers and designers across academia and industry to address the effects, implications, and design opportunities for individuals and communities who engage in transnational technological practices. We seek participants to explore the role of information and communication technologies (ICTs) in transnational settings for our workshop, TRANSNATIONAL HCI, at CHI 2011. We aim to assemble an interdisciplinary group of practitioners to expand current work on ICTs in global processes, to develop a language and toolset for the study of technologies in transnational spaces, and to address the role of ICTs for local-global user interaction, collaboration across boundaries and negotiations of power relations.

Examples of possible paper topics include, but are not limited to:

* The use of pervasive technologies such as multiplayer gaming across borders
* Studies of social networking among Diaspora communities
* Use of ICTs in censorship state zones
* The role of ICTs in reconfiguring "the local"
* Technology in the context of international migration and politics
* Cross-cultural collaboration

Submissions that develop theoretical approaches, report on empirical work or on technology design are welcome, and need not be limited to "developing world" sites. Full papers may later be solicited for a potential special issue. We welcome applications from researchers, designers, practitioners and scholars across the subdomains of human-computer interaction and beyond, in the fields of anthropology, sociology, science and technology studies, critical theory, communication, media studies and cultural geography.

Interested participants should submit a 2-4 page paper in CHI Archival Format <http://chi2011.org/authors/format.html> by January 14, 2011 to [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> describing your current project and its contribution to the workshop topic. At least one author for each accepted paper must register for the workshop and should attend at least one full day of CHI <www.chi2011.org <http://www.chi2011.org/>>.

Additional information, including the workshop description (Extended Abstract), is available on our website at http://www.princeton.edu/~jvertesi/TransnationalHCI/

IMPORTANT DATES
* Submission deadline - Jan 14, 2011
* Notification of acceptance - Feb 11, 2011
* Workshop at CHI2011 - May 8, 2011

ORGANIZERS
Janet Vertesi, Princeton University, USA
Silvia Lindtner, University of California, Irvine, USA
Irina Shklovski, IT University of Copenhagen, Denmark

If you have any questions please contact the organizers at [log in to unmask]

We apologize for possible cross-posting.

Janet Vertesi
Society of Fellows in the Liberal Arts
104A Scheide Caldwell House
Princeton University