From:
Shaowen Bardzell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Shaowen Bardzell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Jan 2011 20:27:24 -0500
CALL FOR PARTICIPATION

CHI 2011 workshop – Feminism and Interaction Design

http://feministhciworkshop.wordpress.com/

Feminist HCI is a cross-disciplinary area of research that combines feminist thinking with the concerns of human computer interaction. At this stage, however, “feminist HCI” remains a promising, yet underdeveloped term. The Feminism and Interaction Design workshop aims at creating actionable opportunities for design using feminist constructs and themes, reflecting on the methodological implications of practicing feminist interaction design, both philosophical and practical, and identifying obstacles that inhibit research and design in this area.

We are particularly interested in the following issues:

* How do we use feminist theory and constructs to discover design opportunities?

* What do the six qualities proposed in Bardzell 2010 mean for interaction designers? Are there cases, applications, or problems that enable us as a community to better understand and design for these qualities?

* How can designers integrate abstract concepts, such as feminist design qualities, with reasonably well-defined stakeholder needs; empirical user and/or market data; human, technological, and financial resources; and so forth? What is (or what should be) that relationship?

* How do we evaluate whether a design process or product is successful in its feminist aspirations? Is evaluation just a judgment, or are there measures? Who gets to perform this judgment, anyway?

We invite HCI researchers and designers interested in this topic to submit a 4-6 page position paper in the ACM Extended Abstracts format that addresses the workshop themes outlined above. Email your paper to [log in to unmask] with subject “CHI2011Workshop Submission” by Jan 14, 2011.

IMPORTANT DATES

* Submission deadline - Jan 14, 2011
* Notification of acceptance - Feb 11, 2011
* Workshop at CHI2011 - May 8, 2011

ORGANIZERS

Shaowen Bardzell, Indiana University
Elizabeth Churchill, Yahoo! Research
Jeffrey Bardzell, Indiana University
Jodi Forlizzi, Carnegie Mellon University
Beki Grinter, Georgia Institute of Technology
Deborah Tatar, Virginia Tech

If you have any questions or would like to learn about this workshop, please contact the organizers at feministhci.workshop [at] gmail.com.